Power Cord Concern

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Russell L, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Hey, ya'll, I was just thinking the other night when packing up about all the removable power cords we see on modern equipment. On my Little Mark III head I have to wiggle the cord a bit to get it loose. For equipment that gets plugged in and unplugged less frequently I suppose it's no problem, but now everytime I plug in and out I worry that the connection will wear out before I'm ready for it to. So, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on it. Maybe I'll start leaving it plugged in if I can keep it from getting bumped. Ya'll got any other ideas or thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. KJung

KJung

Zero issue. Lots of things in the world to worry about, that is not one of them:p

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13. Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Gawd, I ssooooo want to make some sort of sarcastic post about needing a new, stronger power cable... something along the lines of the XLO Purple Rush. But I won't be that troll this morning. I think I just need some caffiene.

But as KJung said above, this is not a concern. If anything will ever get any wear, it will be the IEC cable, which are extremely cheap and can be picked up anywhere. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

4. northernmonkey

northernmonkey

I have about 200 spare US IEC cables, I get one every time I buy a cisco router or switch at work. They get sent to recycling every few months. Ill post you one if it ever wears out :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jlepre

jlepre

I think the OP is more worried about the MALE end on the amp side wearing out. The cords are a dime a dozen.

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Not much worry there, either. It's the cable that does the job of clamping on to the terminals. Jack gets loose, get a new cable. Or wrap some electrical tape around the plug if it starts falling out during a gig.

8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

No biggie. There's not a lot that can go wrong with the part on the amp. I'm not saying it CAN'T but it usually doesn't. Keep a spare cable. (Keep a spare EVERYTHING in the band business..... stores aren't open at midnight.) And take this one off of your worry list. If you have a spare cable, and a DI box just in case, even if your amp plays out one night, you can just go DI and keep thumping. Nothing to worry about.

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

It's not made to be removed every time you use it, it's made to keep the equipment from being dragged out of it's position if someone steps on, or something falls on the cord.

The good thing- if the fitting on the Mark III breaks, it should be easily to replace.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

11. dmac1961

dmac1961

Media:
    Do not leave the IEC cable in the socket when transporting it! It can take a hit and destroy the receptacle. I've seen it done on several JBL Eons.

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Try a different cord from an old computer or something. They're supposed to be a standard size, but maybe yours has thicker plastic around it or something.

13. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I've mentioned PowerCons several times here.
    The general consensus seems to be that the reason so few companies use them is that the regulatory agencies are afraid idiots will open them up and get shocked.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Try this: spray a very small amount of WD-40 into the openings of the IEC connector on the power cord and on the exterior of the six-sided part of that connector. Let it dry thoroughly. The cord should then plug and unplug into the chassis connector more easily.

15. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

I wish they would make amps with non-removable power cords and nice spools on the back to wind them on when not in use, like my old Walter Woods.

[​IMG]

16. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    My only real pet peeve with all these IEC cords is that the ones that come with equipment are all so damn short. Some barely even reach the floor from a proper speaker stack. You always need more extension cords or end up with something lame like power strips dangling in mid air. Would it eat into profits all that much to include a 10 footer instead of a 6 footer....really?

I have a couple of 10+ footers that came off some old copy machines or something. They are special and I guard them.

/rant

17. bigalbass

bigalbass

A shot of Electrical Grade Silicone spray should make your cord much easier to remove and install, as well as improving the electrical connection. I use CRC brand, available at Home Depot.

18. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    One of the (many) advatages to PowerCons is that you can make the cord any length you want.

19. KJung

KJung

Don't like this nearly as much as the removable ones. Hard to fix that on the fly if something goes wrong. Never had trouble with my Walter, but had other amps with this 'fixed' design fail.

20. KJung

KJung

I just go to one of the electronic equipment/cable websites and buy a nice 12' relatively low gauge replacement power cord when I get a new amp. Costs about $10 for a nice one. Worth every penny!

21. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Mine were free....and worth every penny.:D

I have probably close to 2 dozen 6ft. IEC cables laying around here, I think they breed and multiply or something.:smug: