Power for my Pedal Board!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ElleCee, Jan 9, 2013.

1. ElleCee

ElleCee

Hey everyone!

I am now finding myself in need of a pedal board...stat. So, I'm running out to Guitar Center THIS Saturday to pick up a board. I'm most likely going to go with a Pedaltrain PT-JR. For right now, I just have 3 Boss pedals (TU-3, LMB-3, ODB-3) and I have no idea how to power them. I don't know how the whole voltage things works or how the daisy chaining thing works.

HELP!! I NEED ONE BY NEXT WEDNESDAY!

Thank you so much!
    L.

P.S. I'm a starving musician, so something small (like can power five pedals. That's all I would need) and inexpensive would be ideal. Thanks!

2. Professor X

Professor X

3. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Yep a one spot plugged into a daisy chain will do perfect, I use mine with more than 5 pedals and its noiseless cheap and does a great job!

4. ElleCee

ElleCee

That's great! Thank you so much! :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Got a 1 Spot powering 8 pedals myself. No problems at all, highly recommended.

7. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

I had a one spot, the more pedals the more hum and noise. Ended up with a Voodoo labs PP2, clean and clear now, worth the money.

8. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I would start with the OneSpot, and look around for cheap daisy chains. The OneSpot brand daisychains are pretty expensive, I bought a knock-off for very cheap and so far it is working perfectly.

9. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

Behringer PSU HSB $21.99
    1Spot $27.75
    Godlyke PowerAll $30
    Rocktron DC On Tap $54.99

Those are daisy chains, other cheap alternatives in boxed PSU (ala DC Brick) are Leem DC Power Bank (around $40) and Joyo Power Supply (around $45)

I use Godlyke PowerAll to power 10 pedals, 3 of them are power hungry modulations (multi chorus-phase-flanger, boss DD-3, Custom analog Reverb)

10. Crater

Crater

Be prepared, GC doesn't stock the whole line of Pedaltrain products in their stores. I looked for weeks at stores and on the web (I have 3 GCs within a 20 minute drive) and none of them stocked the PT-Jr. I ended up buying a PT-1, that seems to be the only model they stock in their stores, and that's a bit big for just 5 pedals.

Daisy-chain power supplies work fine with most modern effects, but sometimes they can cause problems with humming.

11. rhopper

rhopper

Same here

12. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

I didn't ever have any problems with my OneSpot. It was the perfect thing for me when I first started out. Price is good and can always be used for a smaller emergency back up.

13. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

The PT1 is a Guitar Center exclusive, so they like to push it. ;) My bigger board is a PT1 and I really dig it. I think I've got it packed about as tight as I can get it. There's also room for my power strip underneath with is nice to have there.

Another +1 for a 1-spot, and another +1 for never having noise problems. I'm super OCD about noise in my rig, and I've powered all sorts of combinations of pedals with mine and never had any issues. Aside from my EP2, everything else on my PT1 is powered with a 1-Spot and it's dead silent.

Pedaltrain Mini is on a Dunlop DC Brick. Also dead silent.

:bassist:

5sg.

[​IMG]

14. Pewper

Pewper

I have a DC Brick but I'm running out of space... I have a boss TU-2 that has power output. What is the best way to chain off of that to power a few more pedals? Would it be a bad idea to get a 1-spot connector and just plug it up to my DC Brick instead of the recommended 1-Spot power source to add extra power outlets? Any info would be greatly appreciated... I have been playing for a long time, but have just recently got into the pedals and trying to power them and don't want to mess anything up.

15. Verminaard

Verminaard

I don't see why that should be a problem. Maybe just hook the touchy pedals to the isolated outs by themselves. I would gladly defer to someone else's judgement though.