Power Regulator Solutions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Telenovela, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Telenovela

Telenovela

Disclosures:
    Head of Research, TuneSat LLC
    Hi,

I play regularly at this club with low voltage outlets. I've got a new compressor that I'd love to use on the gig, but it's sensitive so the low voltage causes a lot of noise in the pedal.

I know a power regulator would fix the issue, but I can't find an easily transportable/inexpensive solution.

Basically, I need one regulated outlet. Anyone have experience with a situation like this and any suggestions?

Thanks guys!
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Regulators are large and expensive. There might be an exception, but I haven't found one yet. Which specific comp pedal is it?
  3. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

There are some voltage stabilizers that can be found for pretty cheap at electronics stores. In China, a lot of people use cheap ones for their appliances in rural areas.

If you cannot find one, you can always get two voltage converters (more easily found) that do 110 to 220 or 220 to 110 conversion. A lot of those have pretty good built-in regulators.

That way, you could do 100-120v > converter 1 > 220v > converter 2 > 110v. At that point, the voltage would be regulated twice really. But, that would add to the bulk and price. Some of these things are relatively small and lightweight, kind of the size of a medium sized battery pack/power inverter. I guess you could actually mount them in a rack drawer or just carry them in a case.

It will definitely not be pedal size. :)
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Yes, +100000

Either that or make your own battery pack with rechargeable AA batteries. I did before, there are 1-2 threads on this one.

Thanks for compensating for my tunnel vision mmbongo!
  7. Telenovela

Telenovela

Disclosures:
    Thanks guys! To reply to Bongomania, it's the Retrospec Squeezebox. Retrospec just started selling new units again.

Really loving the compressor outside of this issue.

Unfortunately, it's not a 9 volt unit so I don't think the volto would work. Nice looking device thought!
  8. boomertech

boomertech Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    This one is about $70.

[​IMG]

-Frank
  9. Nate85x

Nate85x

I've got a furman rack mount power conditionor the X^2 wasn't to expensive and it helped out with keeping my pedal board and everything else protected that I plugged into it. The picture above would work just something to help protect the equipment. I hated venues that had "dirty power" and caused issues.
  10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The thing is that power conditioners don't help with low voltage, which is the problem OP described. :)
  11. boomertech

boomertech Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    That APC 550 will provide at least 2Hrs of isolated regulated power for a 30W load when the unit is unplugged from the wall outlet. The Retrospect uses two tubes that have approx. 2W heaters. So the total power draw for the pedal shouldn’t exceed about 6W (that's just a guess)… meaning more operation time from the backup battery. The one thing I didn’t think of is that these UPS Backups have irritating beepers that warn you that it is on backup power.

But there are portable 1000W regulators for about $80 that will continuously adjust the output voltage so that it stays constant.

http://invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=189&cPath=62&gclid=CKP9xdrmsb0CFS1eOgoduBUAHg

-Frank
  12. Telenovela

Telenovela

Disclosures:
    boomertech, you may have found a good solution!

Definitely the beeping of the APC would due a deal breaker, plus I'd be concerned about it dying, believe it or not this is a 5+ hour gig.

However, that regulated you posted for $80 looks perfect. And for $80 I can afford to be wrong...