power requirements

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by doomloop, Nov 29, 2012.

1. doomloop

doomloop

Moving into a new studio and going to be powering a few amps...svt classic, svt4 pro, 50 watt tube guitar amps and a PA.

Anyone wanna shed some light on how much power the outlets need to supply to safely run all this at the same time or the best way to gauge safe power requirements/needs. Thanks!

2. dincz

dincz

Without a crystal ball - power consumption for each item should be shown in the manuals or on the maufacturers' web sites.

3. doomloop

doomloop

Okay and then just make sure the outlet will provide the proper sum total of all 'items'...is that in amp, amperes, ??, some other electrical term. I understand sum pedal draw in milliamps from an adapter but not so much from amps and wall outlets. Thanks!

4. john m

john m Supporting Member

You need a 20 amp circuit for every 2000 watts of amplifiers.

You did not say how big the pa is.

Lighting and space heaters must also be considered.

Mixers (not powered) and rack stuff don't require a boat load of power.

This is a rough estimate.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dincz

dincz

Amps (amperes) yes. Or it may be listed as power (watts). Power in watts is voltage (120) multiplied by current (amps) - ignoring power factor but near enough.

EDIT: Sorry about the crystal ball thing - rough day :(

7. doomloop

doomloop

Cool! Thanks a lot. They told me each room is a dedicated circuit but just want to make sure the 4pro ain't too much for it...the pa is 500 watts btw.

Thanks...this will help me for sure!!

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

For a 15A breaker, you can use about 12.5A
    Or about 1500W

Use more 15A circuits to the breaker box rather than less 20A circuits
    This will let you somewhat isolate things better.

Don't go by Rated output watts, go by power draw watts. A sticker on the back of the amp should say the power draw.
    Given 1500W - look at 50% efficiency for older amps, 90% and higher for class-d.

Account for cooling - you're going to need it. That other 50% is pure heat from the amp.
    Use LED lighting and everything as efficient as possible to keep the BTU's down.

9. ThisBass

ThisBass

Take the power drawings of each power amp and calculate the total of all items.
    In general you need not more then 1/2 of "full power" even if all of your power amps are at the edge of clipping. It's a good bet to calculate with max. 1/3 of rated (full) power drawing.

BTW if you play trash or similar stuff I'd suggest to calculate with full power drawings.