Power Supply Advice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by benchbass, Dec 11, 2013.

1. benchbass

benchbass

Hey everyone,

I'm in the middle of designing my new setup, which involves a wireless receiver, and was looking to see if anyone had advice to give before I buy the power supply. It's a pretty bare bones rig but as a bassist, sometimes less is more. I am referencing power bricks and cables from the voodoolab site: http://www.voodoolab.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22

Signal chain will be

Shure PG4 wireless receiver > Boss TU3 tuner > Diamond Bass Comp > EHX Bass Micro Synth > MXR 169 delay

The tuner, carbon copy, and micro synth are easy. They only require 9V, draw between 26 and 85 mA, and I believe can be connected with regular PPBAR cables.

The bass compressor is a little trickier. It needs 18V reverse polarity so I think I can combine two 9V outputs with a voltage doubling adapter (PPAY) and then reversing the polarity with a PPREV cable?

Lastly, I was hoping to power my Shure wireless system from the power supply as well. I found that it needed 12-18Vdc and it draws 160 mA. I have no clue as to what cables I should use to power it though! :/

I think the Voodoo Lab pp2+ 12V output doesn't provide enough current to run the receiver, but could I double up 2 9V outputs to provide a 18V supply? Or is it better to spend a little extra to get the Voodoo Lab 4x4 which has a higher current 12V outputs that could handle the receiver with only 1 plug? Or is there a power supply from a different brand that better suits my needs?

Any and all opinions and advice are needed and welcome!

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my situation,

Ethan

2. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

I would take a look at the T Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon. The Decibel 11 Hot Stone HC might also work.

3. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

It's the source of much controversy, but I use the Joyo Power Supply 2 and it works wonders for me

It would definitely power everything you're listing, has a 500mA option, a 12v and 18v option, and comes with the necessary polarity reversal adaptor

4. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Previously audioslaveoz Supporting Member

Get the VL2, you can use the coupler cable OR you could plug the separate adapter into the back outlet

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. djasterix

djasterix Supporting Member

Now that we're in this subject, I have a Voodoo ISO 5, with all 9v outlets in use, is it possible to split the 18v outlet into two 9v? And if it's possible, which cable do I need? Thanks in advance

7. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Previously audioslaveoz Supporting Member

Bummer but no

http://www.voodoolab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3540

8. djasterix

djasterix Supporting Member

9. benchbass

benchbass

Amazingly inexpensive.

I looked at it on its site and they claimed it had isolated outputs. User reviews say that they are, in fact, not isolated?

What is your experience? What pedals are you powering?

Thanks!

10. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

VooDoo labs has (in the past, at least) custom-built 18v connectors for people (like me) who have Trace Elliot comps (18v, negative-tip, 2.5mm plug spec)...they should be able to produce a connector for the Diamond as well.