Power supply for just two pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LAG, Mar 8, 2012.

1. LAG

LAG Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Fan: Green bay Packers
    I have a Korg DT-10 & an Aguilar Tone Hammer on my homemade mini board. I need a quiet power supply for just these two pedals. Suggestions?
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

3. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Rocktron makes a nice little power supply. I have used it four years and it has not given me any problems.
  4. jefframm

jefframm

Very nice / very small - can power 3+ pedals....
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

A One Spot will do you just fine. They're pretty cheap as well. Well, comparatively to a full on power supply, a One Spot does a fantastic job while saving you the cash.

How is that tonehammer? I've been hearing about them recently.
  7. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

The Tone Hammer is 18 volt. Will the One Spot do 18v? I use the T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr. and it's the best $99 I ever spent.
  8. LAG

LAG Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The Tone Hammer is 18v and the Korg tuner is 9v. I am getting hum with both pedals.

Anyone have a recommendation for a power supply that can provide quiet power for these two pedals?
  9. Backstreets

Backstreets Supporting Member

A poster above mentioned this one, and I can vouch for it as well...I've been using a Fuel Tank Jr. for a couple years and it has been quiet and worry free. It comes with cables that allow you to use two of the 9-volt outs to give you the 18 volts that your Tone Hammer needs, and then you can use a third out for your tuner, with two 9-volt outs leftover in case your pedalboard grows. : )
  10. LAG

LAG Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Looks like like the Fuel Tank JR is an answer. Thanks much for sharing.
  11. MoWBass

MoWBass

But on the fuel tank jr. website says ""...f you have a pedal that accepts 18 volts only and consumes no more than 120 mA, use the yellow voltage doubler cable (sold separately). It taps 9 volts each from two outputs on the Junior and converts them to 18 volts. If your pedal consumes more than 120 mA you cannot use FuelTank Junior...."
    (http://t-rex-effects.com/products/fueltank-junior-1.aspx)

Are you sure that the Tone hammer doesn't uses mor than 120 mA? Actually i think it uses 300 mA.
    I 'm about to be in the same situation. I currently use MXR M80 and want to change it for a Aguilar Tone Hammer
    I use a similar to the One Spot and i was thinking to buy a Tank JR. if it works ok.
    Has anybody Try it?
  12. sprag

sprag

If it is 300 mA then the 120 mA fuel tank will not work it will more than likely burn something out i'm guessing the fuel tank. For 2 pedals one with a higher current (amp) rating I would be inclined to use separate power supplies the cost of something that will do the job probably won't justify the real-estate you save.
  13. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

The sightly larger (and much more versatile) FuelTank Chameleon will run it on the 18v outlet. There isn't much out there it won't run.
  14. alec

alec

The Tone Hammer manual says it consumes 7 (seven) mA
  15. MoWBass

MoWBass

I´ve read the same elsewhere but i look for the Tone Hammer manual and it says the following.
    I know it says Power Consumption 7mA but also says Power Requirements 0.3A (meaning 300mA) right?

I am confused :meh:

from Tone Hammer manual:
    3. Specifications
    Input impedance: 1meg Ohm
    ¼” output level: 4VRMS maximum
    XLR output level: 8VRMS maximum balanced
    ¼” output noise: -95dBu ‘A’ weighted
    XLR output noise: -98dBu ‘A’ weighted
    Current consumption: 7mA
    Power Requirements: Two 9-volt batteries, phantom power or an external DC power
    supply: 18-20V 0.3A, 2.1mm plug, center terminal polarity is negative. We recommend
    the Aguilar PSU2 for best results.

http://www.aguilaramp.com/pdf/ToneHammerManual.pdf
  16. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    It's fine. If you couldn't run a Tone Hammer off a power supply like the FTJr. it wouldn't be nearly as popular a pedal as it is.

Manufacturers routinely list exaggerated current requirements for their pedals. I think you'll find it to be no coincidence that the Aguilar PSU2 is rated at 300mA. 120mA is plenty and then some.
  17. sprag

sprag

If this is true maybe run a test. I'm in Australia but I think your Radio shack stores sell things such as amp meters and wall wart power supplies go in and ask (nicely) if you can test the pedal. plug it in to a comfortably oversized supply i.e. 1 amp put the amp meter over the chord this will tell you what current it draws. add 10% for error and that is what your minimum requirement in a power supply is.
  18. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Unless I'm misunderstanding you, the kind of ammeter you are describing doesn't work on DC circuits. You need to put the meter in series with the circuit, which means you need to find a way to get the voltage to go out the power supply, into the meter, and then out of the meter into the pedal. Then you read the current draw.

But that isn't necessary. There is NO WAY that the Tone Hammer draws anywhere near 300mA unless it is a digital pedal, which it is not. Most dirt/EQ pedals draw less than 15mA which is right in line with the information provided in this thread. EHX claims that all of their 9v pedals need to be run off of a 200mA power supply, but I have run multiple off of one PP2+ output rated @ 100mA.

It is just a marketing trick to get you to buy their power supply. If your power supply is the right voltage, and can provide AT LEAST AS MUCH CURRENT as your pedal needs, then it is fine.
  19. Hultberg

Hultberg

When I got a Tonehammer a couple of years ago, I sent an email to Aguilar regarding the power consumption.
    Marco at Aguilar replied that the TH will require 18V and 20 mA from your power supply.

I powered it with a Cioks Baby mach 2 and a booster flex cable (voltage doubler).
  20. sprag

sprag

I use one daily for work but only on ac equipment. I'll check it on my dc pedals later... though i don't think mine is sensitive enough to read such small amounts anyway
  21. sprag

sprag