Power to the pedals!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HugoBazZ, Jan 2, 2014.

1. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

what is the main thing to look at when getting a power supply? what is good and what is bad?
    i have been looking at the MXR DC brick, will this do? what makes the voodoolabs so desired?
  2. aledeville

aledeville

The MXR DC brick has no isolated outlets. That makes it less desirable.

The Vodoolabs are just good quality. Expensive, but good.
  3. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

There are a bunch of factors to consider. Does the supply provide the proper voltages? Provide enough power overall? Do you need isolated power? The DC Brick for example is not isolated whereas the Voodoo is. How many pedals need power? Do you also need AC power? In other words, how complex is your setup, and can any given power supply provide what you need for a reasonable cost? Some folks swear by supplies like DC Brick and One Spot, while others want/need more complex systems. I ended up going with the CAE MC403 because I have a bunch I run at 12-18v, a few that amplify even the slightest additional noise, and a lot of pedals in general. But not everyone needs something like that. Others I've considered include Cioks and Decibel 11 among others.
  4. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

Atm i have the cioks baby but i Think i Would like a little more outlets! I run 6pedals atm (the 6th is from my tuner, TC). Would like to be able to get 1or2 pedals more.

What is good/bad with unisolated outlets?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

My pedals have way too much power over me...

That being said, I'm currently using the GBUS8 that came with the Gator Board. Probably the same type of gadget as the MXR Brick. Not the best, but works for now.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Some pedals will either become noisy, or stop working, if their DC power shares a ground wire with other pedals. Isolation means the DC in one pedal cannot interact with other pedals, so it cuts down on the chances of noise or other failures/problems.

Many, many pedals are perfectly fine sharing their ground wires, so not everyone runs into the same problems. That's why the cheaper supplies like the MXR and 1 Spot work fine for a lot of people.
  8. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

Do you know what kind of pedals doesnt work with unisolated?
  9. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

This is my setup at the moment :) i Would like to get one or two more pedals on there :) used a daisychain from my tuner, but that was noisy and some of the pedals Would turn off when i engaged others :/
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1388747905.886547.jpg
  10. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Unfortunately it is not easy to say "what kind". For example it is not one type of effect, and not one brand. Plus, the problem is not with any one pedal by itself, but with various combinations of two or more pedals. Realistically, the best and only way to find out is by experimenting with what you have.
    That's a pretty clear sign that you need a supply with isolated outlets.
  11. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

Okay! Thank you very much!! :D
  12. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I use the BBE Supacharger. It has 8 isolated outlets. 2 of them supply up to 200 mA's which come in handy with certain pedals from SA and EHX and many others that need a dedicated adapter. I upgraded to this from a Brick and I haven't had any issues with it. These units are reasonably priced. I would highly recommend it to anyone needing a power supply for their board.
  13. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

Can i fru my pedal with too Many mA's?
    Like lets say i go fra my baby march 2 with a total of 500mA's (100each) to a T-rex goliath with 2950mA (450each)
    Is there a risk i Would damage my pedals?
  14. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Pedals only draw as much current as they need. That particular change is fine. There might be some danger with an unregulated supply rated for thousands of mA more than your pedal draws, but a few hundred mA from a regulated supply is perfectly safe.
  15. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

Okay, thanks a lot! :D