Power window fail Just in time for snow!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Papa Dangerous, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

So, as the title suggests, I am having an issue with my power window on my car. It is currently snowing.

Situation: it was working yesterday. My gf had tapped somethibf against the door a few times and now it No longer works.

It is the front passenger side window. All other windows work. I hear the motor running inside the door. The window seems to be off track. It can easily be moved up and down manually with hands on glass. My concern is that there is No grip. During the night the window slowly opened on it's own and each time the door is closed the window proceeds to open a little bit.

The temperature is below freezing and storms are supposed to get worse through the next couple of days. Anyone have any suggestions? I have little time to search the internet and thought I would try here.

I drive a 97 Nissan Maxima in hunter green. (I'm sure color is of great importance, I know black basses help with a more metal tone. ) Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I had a similar situation occur with my 93 Maxima.
    I didnt want to put money into fixing it, so I took a Sliding Window Lock from the company I work for, and fastened it onto the track right below the window.
    That kept the window in place until I got rid of the car a few months later.

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Duct tape until you can get the door off to get a better look at what rubber roller part you will need. Works for everything.

4. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sounds like a broken window regulator. (the scissor-like mechanism that moves the window up and down) You have to remove the door panel to get a good look. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, you could probably swap it out yourself.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pica

pica

My power window motor died two days before I was driving out to Boston. Got it fixed just in time.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yeah, you have to check the regulator. You'll have to remove the inside door trim (also called a door card, door panel, etc.). You'll see a mechanism that looks like a sideways figure-8, flattened on both ends. That's the regulator.

If you're lucky, it's just a matter of the glass becoming unclipped from the regulator. The fix would be to loosen the clips a little, place the glass in them, tigthen the clips, and put the door back together.

If the regulator itself is broken, then you'll have to replace it with a new one or a good used one. Since the Maxima was apretty popular car, you should have reasonably good luck finding a used one (If you're in North America: I've used www.car-part.com to source used parts).

8. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

I believe that's the problem, also. A body shop can take the door panel off, replace the regulator and put the door panel back on, but they won't do it for free.

9. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Thank you all for the swift replies. I have taking the information and searched upon the things said. The regulator and clips seem to be the two most popular answers. I'm fairly handy with some tools but never attempted taking a door panel off. I'm sure I could find a source for that information on YouTube and such. If it's a new regulator I need, I'm fortunate to have a good mechanic, Just need to get through the next few days.

For now, the window is ducted. 8)

Shall see what the weather is like tomorrow!

Once again, Thank you all!

10. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Here is a YouTube video on how to replace the regulator on a 93-97 Maxima

It was super easy on my Element. 15 minutes.

11. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

I'm guessing you tried to roll the window down when it was frozen up in place. I'd bet the regulator has become disconnected from the window in some fashion or the other.