1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Powered board replacing amp head??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Pigg61, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Pigg61

Pigg61

Hey guys. Recently I've been looking at upgrading from my Peavey TKO 400 to a small amp head and possibly 2x10 or 2x12 cab. I was talking to an extremely experienced sound man the other night and he suggested that I use a small powered board to run a cab. Any ideas/ suggestions on this. I'm new and intrigued with this idea. Thanks!!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

A lot of mixer boards have built in high pass filters to limit low frequencies. Best idea is to try one and see.

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Powered mixers tend to be compromise designs. Weight, portability, and preamp quality usually aren't standout strengths.

Not to say you couldn't find a powered board that you'd like, but you should be able to easily find equal or better tone and power in a lighter/smaller head or pre-amp + lightweight power amp.

4. trevcda

trevcda

Media:
    Albums:
    Why did he suggest that? What models was he suggesting? Was there more to the conversation? The only advantage I see would be that you could use the board for more than just bass but, as someone above me said, not without compromises.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

A powered mixer probably isn't going to be all that small.

7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

This suggestion was made by a sound man trying to sound impressive. I'm actually surprised he didn't recommend using a DI and going straight to his board.

Stick with your micro amp and cab idea for simplicity.

8. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

i don't know you can beat these new tiny amps. I have a little Genz Benz 3.5 shuttle in the pocket of my gig bag and a 2/10 SWR cab. It cuts any gig I have and has a plenty big sound. It seems like the cord weighs more than the head. it is funny that now the 2/10 cab is the beast in the setup. To think when I was a kid I did the same rooms with twin folded 18"s.

9. briskmojo

briskmojo

I use to play through a carvin powered mixer, I was pretty young at the time but I remember it not sounding too impressive.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Powered mixer can sound ok with most active basses, but with most passive pickups the input impedance will be way too low and tone will suffer greatly. This could be solved with an active DI and the XLR out going into the mixer, but now you are adding to the size and cost.

11. lz4005

lz4005

If you use a powered board you'll be paying for a bunch of extra channels you'll never use. Basically someone who uses a PA all the time told you to get a PA.

12. agedhorse

A small head might have other purposes other than just pretending to be a bass amp.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you wanted to blend several different signals together and send only one channel to the board, then I could see a need for a mixer. I do know people who do that. But it's needlessly complicating a relatively simple process if you're only using one or two signals, and I've yet to plug into a board that made me wish I had it instead of my amps. Boards and mixers are made for clean reproduction of what's going into them. Bass amps are made for creating a bass sound.

14. agedhorse

If you use something like a Bass Driver, takes the clean reproduction only limitation out of the equation as well.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Tru dat, but adds another box ;)

16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I guess all the bass amp makers and players who use them have been doing it all wrong since forever. :rollno:

17. agedhorse

I think there are more ways to skin a cat than JUST a bass amp. There are theatrical gigs or church gigs that may have different need than another gig that might require something different.

You do realize that there's a lot of pro audio technology & approach inside a typical bass amp...

18. agedhorse

Agreed.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    100% true. Those are the types of amps I try to avoid, though ;)

20. agedhorse

Part of the reason this technology is found in bass amps is because of the proven track record for high reliability. Voicing is (or can be) independant of reliability, it's more of a choice made during the development of the product, targeting a product towards a range of playing styles/preferences.

There is a wide range of personal preferences out there. Folks who can't understand why a player might prefer something different from their own has a limited perspective. (not targeted at you Jimmy)

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I mainly said that as a joke ;) but I hear you.