Powered Cab Advice or Options

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Feb 20, 2014.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm looking for a powered PA cab for bass, for use with my modeling rig, also generally PA cabs are lighter than similarly powered combos and have all those handy handles all over them.

My requirements
    500+ watts
    Pull out handle
    Tilt back wheels
    Sub 25kgs (ideally sub 15kgs)
    1x12 or 1x15
    Hardwearing enough that I can just lug it everywhere like walk a mile dragging it on its wheels
    Neutral or bass heavy sounding

So options?
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    What you want doesn't exist. Buy the cab you want, and a dolly with pneumatic tires. Probably a ratchet strap to secure it.
  3. el murdoque

el murdoque

While there are powered PA cabs with a 15" Woofer that weigh below 25kgs,
    i've never seen one mounted on wheels that allowed for anything more than pushing them around on a smooth surface.
  4. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    A couple of thoughts-
    Wattage is a relative meaningless spec for a powered cabinet. Focus on SPL ratings instead.

None of the quality cabs that I know of (JBL, QSC, RCF, EV, ETC) have tiltback wheels. The suggestion for a quality folding hand cart was a good one. It would likely be possible to add the wheels to the cab of choice as well (if it is wood rather than plastic construction).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Well ignoring the wheels and pullout handle requirement what would be some good options?
  7. PetersReviews

PetersReviews

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

You're right on the money that successful modeling needs a transparent rig, and powered PA is an excellent way to go.

QSC, Line-6, jBL, Peavey, RFC, Carvin, etc... they all make lightweight, powered cabs with great bass support. I you need it for big halls, you can add a powered sub. If you normally play smaller venues then just a top is fine. Once in a while need more power then add the sub.

There are Bags with handle and wheels for powered PA cabinets. The bags also have pockets for misc cables and such.
  9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Looks good wondering if I could go as low as the k10
  10. PetersReviews

PetersReviews

If you're only playing small coffeehouse type venues it might work but I'd probably go for the K12. I'm probably going to pick one up for myself soon.
  11. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

EV ZLX12p or ELX112p or ZLX15p or ELX115p
  12. DogBone

DogBone

Wheels?

Not on anything that small that I know of.

Regardless for what you are looking for:

Top of the line, with top of the line pricing, QSC K12

[​IMG]

Runner up, great performance and much more economical price, Peavey PVXp series

[​IMG]
  13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Wow that peavey is cheap
  14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
  15. DogBone

DogBone

I know QSC has a great rep and great products, but being a low budget hobbyist myself Peavey tends to be my "go to" for PA and general amplification "stuff".

I really like their PVXp series, particularly the expansion modules that allow you to plug in and customize what you want your powered speaker to do.

For example, I'm looking into a small pa and/or powered speaker setup for a small side project I'm starting and yeah, the PVXp is probably the route I'm going to, with the three channel expansion module and maybe eventually pairing it up with their matching sub.

Anyway, I'm a fan of Mr. Hartley Peavey's gear.

PVXP at NAMM 2014 video:
  16. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

I'm running a qsc k12 with either B3 or my pedal board which has a VT bass deluxe as the centre piece. I can use this set up for a wide range of gigs. I got the the handled carry bag and the B3 fits in the side pocket, or in the bag with the cab. I run from the parallel out of the cab to my IEMS at times. I have a trolley that folds flat that I stack everything on. The horn in the k12 doesn't give out super glassy highs like some full range cabs. I have used a Yamaha MSR400 also, and being front ported it carries bass very well, but it doesn't have as much power as the k12.
  17. PetersReviews

PetersReviews

How loud is this setup? I'm wondering how a single K12 holds up with a band.
  18. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

Well it isn't like a 610, but I have used it in a full band set up comfortably.
  19. tsheldon

tsheldon Supporting Member

I'm currently using QSC KW152s. I demoed these along with the K12s using various combinations with the KW118. The 12s didn't move enough air for my tastes without the sub and when I added the sub it was crazy good but likely too much for any stages I play. The KW152s seemed to hit the sweet spot for me. Make sure you demo them before buying.
  20. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

I highly recommend trying before you buy. If there is a retail outlet near you with a good selection of "pro-sumer" PA gear, I'd try to line up a time with them to test a number of different powered cabinets, and let your ears and instincts be the judge.

Personally, I use the Atomic Amps CLR powered wedge: a single for low volume pub/acoustic shows without drums, and a pair for full band gigs with PA support for bass - OR - a single CLR with a powered compact 12" Mackie subwoofer for gigs where PA support is vocals-only.

In my experience, once you introduce a drummer and electric guitars, if they are at all loud, a single 12" based PA-type speaker will not cut it for bass. YMMV. It is possible that a pair of them will do the job, but then you're talking about more cabinets than you seem to want to carry.

Generally, if you want small, lightweight and high power handling/output, you're going to pay for it. Check out the fEARful/greenboy cabinet builds, which are full range cabinets capable of being used as a PA cabinet, lightweight, but not inexpensive. Quality sound and performance costs money.

I've been doing full range bass amp/cab modeling live for a few years now, and in a rock band context, I've not been happy with using just a single, compact full range speaker.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the search.
  21. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

I've not used a kw152, but I don't find the k12 lacking bass, I tried it with the deep switch on and it was too much. If I need a sub it defeats the purpose, I'll take a normal rig. The biggest advantage of a powered wedge for me is that it's pointed at me. No complaints about volume from band members or FOH. It's aimed right at my head, not blowing past my knees.