Powered monitors?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bigtexashonk, Dec 22, 2012.

1. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Media:
    Anyone using a powered monitor as a main amp? I'm thinking the Behringer EUROLIVE B115MP3 might be light, portable and self contained with 1000 watts.

Thoughts?

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    There has been some threads on this topic, not that specific monitor, but using powered PA cabs for bass rigs. The search engine will help you out.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Keep in mind with Behringer you need to carry a cattle salt lick block with you when you read the power ratings ;)

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have literally seen Behringer amps catch fire mid gig. Stay away.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Yes - it works great.
    Plenty of compliments. Power to spare, and no break up.
    Mine is an outdated model, not one of the new class-d with DSP
    I add a sub when I need more power.
    It's not a behringer but I'd have no problem using one of their newer models after I had a chance to try one.

7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    I did the experiment with QSC K10s and RCF HD12. I didn't dig it but depends on the sound you're going for. I find they tend to not have the midrange punch and articulation that I want, and the lows with the DSP are optimized for program rather than bass. Though I wouldn't kick a Meyer CQ-1 out of bed - if someone else hauled it to my gigs.

8. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

We use only 12” powered speakers set up as monitors in the rehearsal studio, we’re all DI, and my bass sound great through them.

9. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Power ratings mean nothing when you’re talking powered speakers; it’s all about how it sounds.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I would personaly not be comfortable with the Behringer as my rig. In general powered speaks aren't real stong down low. For the most part they are designed as top boxes and require a sub for real full range applications.

Thatbsaid, I put my bass through a set of QSC K 10's in 'deep mode' without sub support as mains in small rooms or low volume applications. I run a small amp on stage as my monitor. 1x 10 combo based on a GK Mb200 with an extension 1x10 if necessary.

I pull oit the K-Sub if the volume is going to go up...

11. hgiles

hgiles

I use a Yamaha MSR 100 8" powered speaker as a practice amp. It sounds fantastic! It does crap out if too much bass is put to it or if I try to go too loud, but...it sounds great with my music and with my bass...One just needs to be aware of limitations.

12. chadds

chadds

Just don't tame or tailor your playing to protect the monitor. I've seen too much of that. Delays your technique growth!

13. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I have an older Behringer powered monitor that was my only amp for years. It did triple duty as a bass amp, electric guitar amp, and acoustic guitar amp. It sounds just "ok" on it's own. But add a multi-effect with amp simulation or a pre-amp...and it sounds very good.
    Need more volume--just chain it to another.

I still use it as a drum monitor for an electronic drum set at home, and as a guitar amp when I get called to play that instead of bass.

Overall, though a decent bass rig will sound a bit better, and definitely has more volume unless you use multiple powered speakers.

14. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

By using a powered monitor, you are taking PA equipment and using it as your stage rig - correct? Jim Bergantino used to offer the IP series of powered bass cabinets. They are lauded by many on this forum. I have also heard of people, most notably Anthony Jackson, using Meyer Sound PA cabinets but they are very expensive.

15. Astreaux

Astreaux

I've used a 300 watt RMS 12" two-way powered speaker 25hz-20khz freq range, 106db sensativity, as the bass amp. Ran the bass through a DigiTech BP200 then into it and created many different sounds effectively. 3 Ch mixer and USB player built in. The 12" Woofer has 3" driver and held out fairly well under 2/3rd volume setting. Midrange through the horn wasn't too bad. Could daisy chain to another for more output if needed. It is stackable. Also had a Line Out to send to the PA if needed. Worked ok. Weight not too bad at 50 lbs. Luggable with bass case in one hand, backpack gigbag and speaker in the other hand. One trip from the car. Use a little 50w Powerwerks vertical powered speaker for practice amp. No problems at all with that. Run the BP200 into that as well. Direct 3.5mm plug for iPod for practice against the songs using the onboard 3 ch mixer.

16. Mehve

Mehve

Spent some time with a QSC K12. Nice unit overall, but the mids came on too strong, and it couldn't bring the low-end the way a proper bass cab could. And it couldn't come remotely close to using it's 1000watt capacity before the woofer started hitting its travel limits. In the end, it was really no better (or lighter) than a regular 200-300 watt 112 neo combo, albeit with a price premium and a frequency curve better meant for full-range sound.

17. Astreaux

Astreaux

Have also used the 12" powered speaker fed from the Direct Out of the GK Backline amp after the eq, so it gets the same sound as the 15" speaker out of the GK amp. Put the Powered speaker on a pole to get it off the floor and use the 15" speaker low. Disperses the sound fairly well. Then can use the Direct out of the powered speaker to feed the PA if needed at line level to get into the FOH equip.

18. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

been practicing with the rockit 5 pair from the behringer mixer with the jazz
    could be used for a living room or coffee shop, just not sure how durable it would be in the long run

19. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

recently I had to do a gig without an amp, and my friend loaned me two of his Behringer B215D powered cabs. 550 watts per cab. I used my Ibanez with active pup's and the speakers had volume, bass and treble. Set the tone to flat and volume halfway. I never all night turned the bass more than 1/3 and had NO trouble being heard. Stacking one speaker on top of the other created a thick wall of heavy bottom end. It was a very fun night!