1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Powered subwoofer as extension cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MakoMan, Apr 11, 2014.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but is a powered subwoofer a good idea to use as an extension cabinet for a bass combo?
    The reason I ask is I just bought one of these to use as a sub with the two Kustom PA50 powered PA speakers I currently own:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-pa-kustom-pa112s-powered-sub

It's a powered 200 watt 12" subwoofer that is the match for both my PA50 speakers that I take out for jams and small gigs and my Kustom Profile System 1 PA that I use in my jam room, so it will have plenty of use.
    However in reading the reviews online, it seems some people use these as extension cabinets for their bass amps. That made me think I could line out my Traynor SB115 to it and use it as an extension cab in a pinch, or just to get a different tone.
    Anyway, I bought the thing before I even read the reviews without any idea that maybe I could use it as an extension cab, so I'm happy either way, but it would be nice if it could do double (triple) duty as a powered extension cab. I will of course try it out when I receive it, but in the meantime any thoughts?

2. MakoMan

MakoMan

Ask a stupid question, get no answers... :rollno::D

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't think it will work very well, you want to cover a bigger frequency range than a subwoofer does.

But as you said, you can always try it yourself when you get it.

4. MakoMan

MakoMan

Thanks FretNoMore!
    Yeah, pretty much what I expected... it was just a thought seeing as how I'm getting it anyway.
    I can see a need in my case for a powered extension cab about once every two years. Really it would sit in the trunk just in case I need a little more oomph, or pop my combo and need something that I can at least play through to get through the night.
    I will however plug it in to my SB115 when I get it and see what it can do. Also will see what it sounds like on it's own.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Using both will be a lot more bassy, or less if the basic polarity is wrong. Depending on general phase agreement it may eq ok or else have weird woolly mids.

7. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Using it the way You describe won't probably work very well, but no harm in trying.

Using the sub with the top it's designed to work with will yield much better results.
    All You have to do then is to feed the input of the sub with hot enough signal and you have a nice PA style rig.
    Or, if You can route the Traynors power amp (and speaker of course) to be fed from the sub's output, if you insist of using the combo as well.

Regards
    Sam

8. MakoMan

MakoMan

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like it would be best used as the PA sub it is, which is why I bought it in the first place. I just read some of the reviews and thought 'can I really use it as an extension cab/backup bass amp too?'.
    Apparently the answer is... 'not really' :D

9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It's unknown. Might be the best bass sound you ever heard, might be muck.