1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Powering pedals on the cheap

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Dec 24, 2013.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I'm thinking about using 2 or 3 pedals on a little board. I wonder if I could just pick up a cheap power supply at the thrift store and splice one output connection into three at the output.
    I saw some power supplys( Probably for guitar players) that would power up 20 pedals. that is going to be overkill for me.
    I don't know the difference between switching power supplys and regular ones but I have seen both at local thrift stores for a couple of bucks.
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Worth a crack. You might have to try a couple before finding a quiet one. I've had more luck with oldschool warts than switching ones.
  3. LeoTender

LeoTender

4. FooHead

FooHead

I'm not so sure that would work. I'd meter it before you plug your pedals in.
    Maybe you can find an old Boss tu-2 tuner, it will run a few pedals from it's power output.
  5. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

It would work. Some are more noisy than others. I have used thrift store wall warts for everything, even trickle chargers for the motorcycle. Be very carefully to get the polarity correct. Unloaded they often read a few volts higher than when they are powering something.
  6. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

there is a guy on ebay selling a power brick and a zoom b3 for 239,offered 220 got it,hes got a bunch in stock it seems,absolute steal,and no I have NO affiliation with him or his store,just passing along a deal
  7. ionian7

ionian7

made from cardboard and duck tape amp and pedalboard 060.jpg

amp and pedalboard 061.jpg
  8. arginator

arginator Supporting Member

9. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

1 spot is cheap and works for 2 or 3 pedals (depending) but will get noisy once you add another. I tried the Dunlop ($150) and it was Junk, i splurged ($250) on the Voodoo Labs PP2 and i have plenty of quiet, clean power for up to 8 pedals.
  10. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Used Pedal Power. Cheap is cool until you have noise and reliability problems.
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

My Dunlop brick is powered off a locally made 18v oldschool wart, quiet as a mouse.

Odds of getting noise are increased with each pedal introduced. That's differing ground potentials causing a loop, not the power supply itself. The cure for that is isolated supplies to the offenders.
  12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

I power 16 pedals/buffers with a single 1Spot and there is no noise whatsoever.

I'm sure there are different user experiences, but there are many here who power big boards using only a 1Spot.
  13. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

...or a Godlyke PowerAll, which I use to great effect. heh.

Noisy daisy chains are more a function of the pedals hooked up to it I think, and also, the order in which they are being powered. There really isn't a magic number of effects hooked up that will cause noise.

I can also attest to that as I've hooked up many effects together without issue. At one point I added one, and there was noise. Then I switches some of the power plugs around and the noise went away. Probably because some other effect up front had better power circuits or something. IDK.

As always, YMMV.
  14. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I use a 1-Spot to power six pedals without any issues.
  15. LeoTender

LeoTender

i power 4 of my 5 pedals with it. no problems at all either.
  16. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I bought a Boss GT-10b replacement power supply off ebay for $14.00 to run my pedals.
    It is 2 amps! so it will run a lot of pedals ... I run 11 pedals at the moment ...... works great & it is a small foot print.
  17. Spectrum

Spectrum

I was using a Radio Shack wal wart for a while which delivered 1500 mA, and it worked okay, but recently I finally broked down and got a 1700 mA 1-Spot. The plug on the end of it is better quality, too, and to be honest, Radio Shack stuff is all overpriced for what you get. I used it because it was what I had laying around, but I recommend a 1-Spot from the beginning, especially if you only have like 3 pedals.

I have 10 pedals, and no noise.
  18. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Godlyke PowerAll

+10
    It is very clean very stable and will handle up to 5 pedals at once very cleanly. I got this on a recommendation from one of our guitarists when I thought my Zoom B3's PS went south.. as it turned out I was just using the wrong PS.. but this worked so well that I decided to keep it and I now have the B3's PS hooked up at home and keep the PowerAll in my bag.

Compare specs:

PowerAll Basic Kit $30 @ Amazon
    • 9V DC, 2000 mA digital power supply
    • Power 5 pedals from a single power supply
    • Takes up only one outlet space
    • Replaces Boss PSA-120, DOD PS-200R, Morley 9V, DanElectro DA-1, Dunlop ECB-003, Ibanez AC-109, Guyatone AC-2, Maxon AC210N, Zoom AD-0006 and just about any other 9 VDC power adaptor
    • Special, low-noise circuitry reduces ripple current and hum
    • Ferrite-core filter on power output cable reduces noise and hum
    • Powers 9 VDC effects from any electrical outlet in the world
    • 10' power cable eliminates need for an extension cord
    • (5) Cable Cap insulator sheaths to cover power leads when not in use

One Spot Combo Pack $33 @ Amazon
    • Only takes up one spot on your power strip!
    • Handles up to 1700mA - the 1 SPOT can power your entire pedalboard with juice to spare
    • 10' long cable
    • The Multi-Plug Cable connects the 1 SPOT with up to 8 pedals
    • You only need a single 1 SPOT to power your entire pedalboard!
    • Compatible with Boss PSA, Boss ACA, DOD PS-200R, Morley 9V, Danelectro DA-1, Dunlop ECB-003, Ibanez AC109, Zoom AD-0006 adapters
    • Automatically converts voltage worldwide

You get a little more beef with the PowerAll power wise but you can connect more pedals to the One Spot .. Either one would be a good choice but as I said I use the power all and the guitarist who recommended it to me swears by it.
  19. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Supporting Member

1-spot for budget. Boss TU-2 has always given me poor quality power. Hum, hiss, oscillation. Ugh.
  20. dune2k

dune2k

1spot is fine for your application. the power bricks you mentioned would be overkill.
    i ran 2 delays, booster, 2 overdrives/dist, tuner and some LEDs with mine and didn't have any problems. all should be fine unless you run like 4 digital pedals with hih power requirements from it.