1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Practical Application for 2 Bassists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by theworldismad, Aug 9, 2013.

1. theworldismad

theworldismad

So I came across something odd while I was searching live performances on youtube. While watching John Mayer perform I Don't Trust Myself I saw that John Mayer not only had Pino playing in the live band, but also had another bassist playing along side him. For the life of me I cannot hear what this bassist is being used for besides percussive, trebly pops during the verses. While that is all I can hear him playing it looks like he is playing through the whole song alongside pino. Here is a link, if you can figure what the extra bassist is being used for please let me know.

Viewing this performance has gotten me interested in how 2 bass players can be used consecutively to enrich a musical performance. I would be very interested to hear TB's input on this subject. Has anyone here seen or been a part of a performance with multiple bassists? What can be done by 2 bassists that cannot be accomplished by just one? (I am more interested in practical approaches, I have been to a wooten show but it seemed like the purpose of having multiple bassists at that gig was to gawk at their chops...)
  2. kbuschmann

kbuschmann Supporting Member

Ornette Coleman frequently used 2 bassists (In All Languages, Sound Grammar, etc.), even 3 at one point (Live at Carnegie, 2006). Have a listen.
  3. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

Another bassist, Sean Hurley, plays the groove - "I like playing the roots," admits Sean Hurley
    http://www.bassplayer.com/tabid/177/default.aspx?ArticleId=5015

and Pino is playing "percussive, trebly pops".

About Sean Hurley - composer, Bass (Electric), Bass (Upright).
    http://johnmayer.com/live-tour-blog/2013/sean-hurley-bassist
    http://www.allmusic.com/artist/sean-hurley-mn0000948491/credits
  4. theworldismad

theworldismad

Thanks for sharing that, was a great read. I also am aware of Duke Ellington using two bassists in the late 30s but if memory serves me right he hired the one so that the other would quit. I can't find any recordings or articles supporting this but I think I read it somewhere in a Duke fake book...
  5. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member