Practice Amp for the home

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Q-Ban-Moe, Jan 20, 2013.

?

*** Which Practice Amp to buy ***

Poll closed Jan 22, 2013.
  1. ACOUSTIC B-15..... 10 INCH SPEAKER @ 15 WATT

17.9%
  2. AMPEG BA-108..... 8 INCH SPEAKER @ 25 WATT

35.7%
  3. Carrot sandwich spread.... 27.2 calories

47.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Q-Ban-Moe

Q-Ban-Moe Previously Q-Banmoe Gold Supporting Member

Which of these two would be best in tone and value..

1: ACOUSTIC B-15 10 inch speaker @ 15 watts

-OR-

2: AMPEG BA-108 8 inch speaker @ 25 watts
  2. Systolic

Systolic

I'd go with the Acoustic B-20. If you do much in the way of down tuning or have a low B on anything. The 10" speaker on the acoustic B-15 didn't seem to like it when I tried it out. The B-20's 12" speaker sounds much bigger and fuller. I've been really disappointed with most, if not all of the AMPEG practice amps. They always sound really muddy to me. Just my .02
  3. klejst

klejst

I voted the Ampeg of the two, however when I lived in my apartment I bought cheap a Fender Rumble 15 and it worked out great for practice. Judging by your title you may have a home where you don't have to worry about neighbors next to you, behind and above/below you, however it is still a nice amp also for coffee shop gigs and such too.
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I'm not a fan of any tiny practice combo. To me, anything less than 50 watts and a 12" spkr is a waste of time. The Ampeg BA112 is as small an amp as I'd recomend to anyone. Less than that, and a headphone amp is just as good, imho.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Used something larger will sound tons better if cost is driving you to consider those little abominations. If it's volume, then a headphone rig will be way mo' bettah... Ipad with audio bus, jamup and Mt daw is my current couch rig. Works great w/o disturbing anyone...
  7. Reprise

Reprise Supporting Member

I'd vote for the Acoustic B-20, too, although it's not one of the poll choices.

I have the B-20 (but don't use it anymore)
    I purchased the Ampeg as a second practice amp, spending time between two residences. Listened to an A-B between the two when I unpacked the Ampeg, and had it back in it's box to return within 10min.

All that being said, my main practice rigs are larger now - I like having tone closer to what I get in my stage rigs.

If you get the B-20 - keep in mind that it's a 6ohm speaker - good luck finding a replacement readily available. Disposable technology. :rollno:
  8. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay Supporting Member

get a keyboard amp with rca inputs and 2 channels and/or an effects loop. this allows you to easily lilsten to an ipod or hook up a drum machine for practicing.

i like using headphones, so a headphone output is critical for me.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    BA108 is a hot little amp for $100. I have one I use on practices and tiny gigs. Won't bring down walls but it sounds like Ampeg and has a good bottom end. But the BA110 and 112 are better sounding and will get louder when you need them if you can swing the extra jack.
  10. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Depends on whether you're playing folk, jazz, or rock, IMHO. Personally, I don't see much point in having a bass amp that's not loud enough to play with a rock drummer. My 150W+1x12" EBS Drome combo (you can find equivalent technology much cheaper these days) is an easy 1-handed carry, has the headphone outs and backing track audio inputs that one wants in a practice amp, but can still cut it in group rehearsal. Far better to have an amp that you barely turn up at home than one that's hopeless in a a group setting. And, actually, for home practice, I'm just using a pre-amp and headphones 99% of the time anymore.
  11. Canyouhearmenow

Canyouhearmenow

I have just bought a Fender Bronco, 40w and loads of sound options.
  12. rpsands

rpsands

Just my tuppence but I think most people would be better off using a small PA rig at home for practice than a practice amp. You're going to want to run drum loops, cover songs, etc.. even record if you get a decent setup (like an old recorder mixer).
  13. Scorebass

Scorebass

I liked the sound and features of the Ampeg 108 over the Acoustic. Even though the Acoustic had the 10" speaker, the Ampeg dealt with the low end great. Plus, the Ampeg had a nice 1/4 line out, so if you needed to go through a PA in a pinch it could be done. It also has a send/return for effects, stereo RCA input for cd/ mp3 players and a db cut input for active basses. The Acoustic did not handle my active bass nearly as well without the cut input- sounded harsher. I bought the 108 and it does the job for practice. In a practice session, it can manage with a drum set if you use light sticks.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Listen, if the guy said he wanted a main amp that he could do any gig with, he'd have asked about one. Personally, I'm sorry I never got a cheap little practice amp before last year. They're great for many things where you don't want to bring an expensive and bulky rig. If I need the expensive/bulky, I have it too. But if I want a practice amp, I don't want to spend a fortune on something I'm afraid to bang into a wall accidentally.
  15. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

Acoustic B20 is one hell of a great little amp you can find for $60-$75 used all the time. Sounds huge for a 20 watt amp, great flexible tone, and could pretty easily do a coffee shop gig, too if you need it to.

-JV
  16. dewbass4

dewbass4 Supporting Member

Sometimes a small combo is THE perfect rig for the gig. One size definitely does not fit all applications. Before you start harping about being able to turn your SVT down, try to imagine fitting you, your full SVT rig, an acoustic guitar payer, mic and acoustic guitar amp in the space the size of a 4 person table in a small restaurant. Hint: It ain't going to happen. I am extremely happy with my Roland Cube 20 for home practice, acoustic rehearsals, some recording, and small venue / low volume gigs. But it's not one of the listed choices.

Of the 2 listed I'd go with the Ampeg BA-108, since it has the basic tone I prefer. Then check this tread Ampeg BA-108 Coffeeshop Micro Rig for ideas on hot rodding the little beast.
  17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

An Ampeg will sound better than an Acoustic.
  18. Signs

Signs

I'm with you on this Jimmy. My rig is plenty loud, but, my wife has to get up at 3 am, and I either have to practice early or not at all. My amp doesn't have a head phone jack either, so I am considering getting a portable I can either leave in the garage and play out there, or use the head phone jack to play in the basement. There is no way I want my good amp and cabinet in the garage. There is nothing wrong with having a small practice amp that you can beat up, drag around, etc, or bring to the buddy's house while he plays acoustic guitar, and I plan on getting something soon! :)
  19. Yango

Yango

Do you play out at all? If so, I'd look into the Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 12" combo. It's small, portable, and powerful enough to gig. But if you don't gig, it's a little bit expensive and a little over powered to sit in a livingroom all the time.
  20. Q-Ban-Moe

Q-Ban-Moe Previously Q-Banmoe Gold Supporting Member

THANK YOU ! ! ! :hyper:
  21. jason1980's

jason1980's

Well if you know how crazy I am about Ampegs then you know which I voted for, lol. Although I personally would get the 12 or 15 inch speaker Ampeg models.