1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

practice/beginner/small gig amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by moebasstech, Jan 17, 2013.

1. moebasstech

moebasstech

Hey gang, I'm a guitar player who's trying to learn/get better at playing bass. I have a Tokai P-Bass (really sweet, just back from a very long term loaner), a beater Yamaha BB300 (w/a Hipshot..there's a story behind that), and a Music Man BOO bass Stingray (yeah, I have GAS..or is it BAS(s)?):bassist:. If I wanted an amp to practice with, and maybe use for small club gigs (assuming it would be DI'd thru the PA), what should I get? I know this might be a can of worms but... Opinions on Mark bass? Carvin? I'm in my 50's, so no SVTs please!! My back can't handle it!!
    Oh, I also have a Sadowsky outboard preamp to help with EQ, if that makes a difference.
    Thanks!!
  2. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

budget? Style of music? What do your guitar band mates use? Loud drummer?

Markbass and Carvin are good brands.

Welcome to The Deep End :cool:
  3. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    if you like the preamp you have, you COULD go power amp + cab. that way you can get a cab/pair of cabs and haven't dug very far into your budget for the amp. (power amps are pretty inexpensive used)
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No SVT's but I might recommend the SVT 7 Pro or the PF series of Ampegs for some killer lighter powerful rigs in that vein.

:D