1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

practice/beginner/small gig amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by moebasstech, Jan 17, 2013.

1. moebasstech

moebasstech

Jan 17, 2013
    Hey gang, I'm a guitar player who's trying to learn/get better at playing bass. I have a Tokai P-Bass (really sweet, just back from a very long term loaner), a beater Yamaha BB300 (w/a Hipshot..there's a story behind that), and a Music Man BOO bass Stingray (yeah, I have GAS..or is it BAS(s)?):bassist:. If I wanted an amp to practice with, and maybe use for small club gigs (assuming it would be DI'd thru the PA), what should I get? I know this might be a can of worms but... Opinions on Mark bass? Carvin? I'm in my 50's, so no SVTs please!! My back can't handle it!!
    Oh, I also have a Sadowsky outboard preamp to help with EQ, if that makes a difference.
    Thanks!!

2. budget? Style of music? What do your guitar band mates use? Loud drummer?

Markbass and Carvin are good brands.

Welcome to The Deep End :cool:

3. basscooker

basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    if you like the preamp you have, you COULD go power amp + cab. that way you can get a cab/pair of cabs and haven't dug very far into your budget for the amp. (power amps are pretty inexpensive used)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    No SVT's but I might recommend the SVT 7 Pro or the PF series of Ampegs for some killer lighter powerful rigs in that vein.

:D