1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Practice Rig sounds surprisingly good

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by skidmarkbass, Feb 12, 2013.

1. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

At our practice studio, I'm using a rig that sounds surprisingly good. It's an older GK rb800 head with an Acoustic 410 (New) and older Harke 210 cab. I'm almost tempted to play out with this rig.

2. jlepre

jlepre

it's the cabs that make the difference. You're pushing 6 10" speakers, so you are really pushing some air.

3. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

No surprise to me! GK amps pretty much always sound good! 800RB's are legendary.

4. Art Araya

Art Araya

GK 800RB and 6-10s... of course it sounds good! It must sound awesome!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. john m

john m Supporting Member

Our practice rigs are better than our gigging (or only) rigs were 25 years ago. This goes for PA's too.

One advantage of getting old.

7. DudeLeap

DudeLeap

Always loved 800rb's. How's the acoustic 410 sound solo? I'm interested in trying one out with my Bassman 135 price is real tempting...

8. jlepre

jlepre

Just be careful if both cabs are 8 ohms that you don't push too hard. The 210 will fart out WAY before the 410.

9. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

The acoustic 410 by itself is pretty dark sounding, but the Harke 10's bring out the highs nicely. The Acoustic was a pretty inexpensive cab. My singer bought it just to keep in the studio.

10. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

no farting out of the 210, but it has only been used at practce volume.

11. jlepre

jlepre

That was what I was talking about. Watch it if/when you gig this combination.

12. dannylectro

dannylectro

The 800RB can bi-amp. Drop the 4 ohm 300W low out into the 4X10 and the 100W high out into the 2X10 and smile.... my experience with 800RB's is you have to push WAY too hard for them to break up in any meaningful way with 8 and 4 ohm loads... and if you're putting the 300W low into an 8 ohm load, dial the x-over down some and turn the output up.

13. jlepre

jlepre

That's cool. I didn't know that.

14. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

could also run them full range that way, give both a shot and see what you think.

I usually use a 2-15 on the 300 watt section for most gigs and if I need more firepower (outdoors) then I go with one more 15 using the 100 watts section. Full range.

15. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

+1 Wasn't expecting "practice rig' to be an 800RB, maybe a Peavey TNT if you're lucky..

This is quite funny to read, I have an 400RB as my main amp.. gigging capability is a given. I can't help but wonder what those with lesser gigging rigs are thinking :D

16. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

I gigged for quite a while with my 800rb into a 4ohm 215. It was loud as heck for its rated 300 watts. I rarely needed PA support. I never thought of doing it, but now I wish I had tried adding an 8ohm single 15 just to hear how it sounded!

17. David Jayne

David Jayne

You could do that, but be sure the 2x10 is an 8 ohm cab or else that 100 watt Hi amp will go poof.
    For that matter, if you run both cabs together in ANY configuration with that amp they'd better BOTH be 8 ohm cabs or you'll be sorry.

18. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

makes a very noticeable difference and you get the added benefit of having the top 15" at pretty much ear level (I'm using JBL D140Fs) :bassist:

19. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Man! Are you kidding? Those 400/800RB amps are the stuff of legends! Bi-amp those cabs and go nuts!

20. David Jayne

David Jayne

Eh.....it sounds good on paper and I've tried it lots of times but always found it sounded better just running everything full range. By all means try it of course.