Practicing During Lunch @ Work

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BrianMarc, Feb 4, 2013.

1. BrianMarc

BrianMarc

Has anyone on TB ever used time during the work day to practice the bass? I guess I am talking about 15 minutes to practice scales... I could bring my old Squire or a UBass and play without an amp or into a Korg Pandora.... Thoughts, anybody?
  2. David Jayne

David Jayne

I've done it. Got some strange looks.
  3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Well it depends on where you work and the situation. I had a nice big office that I could shut the door and practice if I wanted over lunch. But I wouldnt whip it out if I worked in a cubicle or on a shop floor though.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Yep. What they said. If you can close a door and draw the blinds, go for it. If not, don't be "that guy". Just eat a sandwich and play after work.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BrianMarc

BrianMarc

Thanks. I may try to sneak a bass in and just run through a few exercises....
  7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I keep a bass and a BP-80 in my office for occasional bursts of practice while the computer's baking something.
  8. two fingers

In school for electronics. Taking a few courses in programming right now. Totally stealing that line and acting as though I made it up myself. Just sayin.
  9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    If you're smart about it you can adjust the build time to fit any desired length of coffee break you want. Just sayin'. :)
  10. oboylebass

oboylebass

...or just get a job playing bass.
    Just sayin'.
  11. kochkoch

kochkoch Guest

I wish I could practice at work. It's just not enough time for me. It takes 10 minutes back and forth to walk to the caf for me.
  12. mrbell321

mrbell321

I keep my Prostang at my desk w/ tape wounds. Plugged into my computer, listen through headphones. The tapewounds keep the clank down, and if you aren't too aggressive, it's pretty quiet for those around me.

The downside is there's a huge temptation to pick it up when there is something important but dull to do. I don't always resist.
  13. funkybass

funkybass

I practice a lot at work, but I own a barbershop. It really helps pass the slow times.
  14. two fingers

Wheels......turning.
  15. two fingers

Been there done that. Got a dozen band T-shirts with my name on them. It's your turn now. Have fun with it. These days, at 41 with two small children, I'll go to work at the same address every day thank you. But you have fun while it's your turn!

:bassist:
  16. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

as i sit here waiting for my students who are over an hour late, i ponder something more subtle like the old casio keyboard i saw at the goodwill for 14 dollars
  17. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I practise at lunchtime nearly everyday. I use my full rig, but then I do work from my home office :smug:
  18. jmac

jmac

There is so much for me to improve musically that doesn't require my instrument that I don't need a bass at work.
  19. BrianMarc

BrianMarc

What do you do at work without your bass to improve? For example, I brought some sheet music and just started identifying notes and keys.
  20. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

I have an office now where I can close the door and practice, but did it in the cublicle for years. Only real problem was that a lot of people really spend too much time in other people's business and assume you're goofing off when you should be working. I made a small "Lunch Break" sign and stuck it on my cube when I practiced during lunch. No more issues with it. I'd also say I disagree with the "Don't be that guy" comment, I got more positive than negative from people at work. In fact, I made friends with people I hadn't talked to before since it gave folks something to talk about. It's also a quick way to find the other musicians in the building!
  21. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

I have a Squier VM and a Rumble 25 in my office allowing me to jam whenever I get the time.

Certainly allows the stress to flow away.