1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

practicing hot hand

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by willbassyeah, Nov 28, 2012.

1. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Hi guys, just wondering how do you guys practice doing your hot hand? I realise it is almost like a new technique, I feel like learning the bass all over again.
  2. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

My mother told me not to talk about these things in public, that it's normal and natural, but private.
  3. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Hahahahaha!
  4. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

In the dark.....

Just kidding. I don't think it takes too long to get used to. It did take me a while to realize that I wasn't putting it on the same direction each time and was puzzled why it didn't always respond the same. Duh.

Advanced Hot Hand use is 2 axis. That's when it gets very tricky. They say future products will be able to use all 3 axis. Crazy
  5. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

One axis is enough for me.

It's hard for me to practice because I'm always changing the sound I'm using. I'm at least starting to narrow it down to 3 or 4 sounds. One of them is with the BEF, the others are with a synth pedal and the HH3.

Right now Muse's "Madness" is all the rage, and I've been playing that one too, but I'm running into a problem: I have tennis elbow and a day of playing HH is hell on it. Reminds me of the old days of playing darts: each dart is only like 21 grams but after a night of throwing several games it's like you spent all night doing curls. Much like the fad malady "Wiibow" you gotta be on guard against "dubstepbow" :) And if that right arm winds up getting bigger than the left because of it people are going to wonder what you're REALLY doing while locked in your "practice' room all day....
  6. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    Jeff/Jesse/Will are putting the final touches on a Hot Hand 3 instructional video. In this video Jesse gives a very clear view on each axis and how it can be used. I suspect it will be public within the week.

They say that the most fun products are easy to use, but a challenge to master. I would say this is somewhat of a driving force behind all SA products including the BEF Pro and HH3.
  7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Haha I am getting use to the lfo section of the pedal and understand the pedal quite well. I get my worbles through the lfo. Just not used to the hot hand haha. Lets face it the hot hand wil either makes you look cool or look like a wanker, I look like awanker :/ . Looking forward to your video sa :)
  8. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

So... I gotta ask:

Is this thread and the video contest a way to fish for ideas for the product demo video?

Good strategy.
  9. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

willbassyea is not the Will from SA, but you may be right about the video contest. It's basically free advertising. Them SA boys are prudy smart.
  10. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Can't wait for the video, I learn so much with each one.

And a totally true statement about the BEF Pro and HH3, they have so much function beyond the obvious, I could spend months on them and still have more to explore.

And I know I'm kind of rare on this one, but the midi control on these products are the most attractive thing about them to me right now. That's why I want a Midi-exp so badly. But I'm confident that this control box thingie will merge everything in a way that I can use midi fully.
  11. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

hehe not only that, it helps to drive out more hot hand videos on YouTube, furthermore the contestant video really shows a lot of the hot hand capabilities, if sa were to make those videos one by one it will take months to cover what the hot hand can do. Really admire SA marketing strategy on that such a clever move, I am a marketer myself that's why I can see the beauty of it. And yes I am not will Cady.
  12. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I've been practicing with a drum machine. So if I F it up the drum beat doesn't change, unlike a real drummer... Practicing slow swells, and wobbles: quarter notes, 1/4 note triplets, 1/8 notes, 1/8 note triplets, and 1/16th notes. Save the 16ths for slower tempos.
  13. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    Sadly, that is not what our wives/girlfriends say. :rolleyes:
  14. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

D'oh! The bummer is that I actually already knew that.... itswac! Long week...
  15. itswac

itswac

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist/Product Line Manager: Source Audio Effects
    Hit the nail right on the head!! All that aside, it was really fun to sit back and watch what people can do with the HH.