Practicing, sitting down with strap

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jason Wilson, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

I have been playing for quite a long time, and I probably knew this before, but I had changed my habit and found I had issues.
    When I practice I generally sit down. And I have for quite some time had my strap height set so when I stand, the bass is at the same height as when I am sitting, BUT, when I went to practice I would sometimes feel uncomfortable or have an unfamiliar feeling and just couldn't feel connected to the bass.
    I have now made sure I always have my bass strapped on when I am playing the bass whether sitting or standing (obviously :D)
    I have found this seems to have helped a lot. As well as the bass being at the same height, it is also in the same position across my body.

Has anyone else had this issue? Just curious. I really couldn't figure out the disconnect

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    When I first start working on a new song, I sit. Once I am somewhat comfortable playing it, I stand. When standing, my bass is about waist high.

3. Geddy_2112

Geddy_2112

I sit 96% of the time. When I sit I adjust the strap higher like up to the middle of my torso and when I'm getting ready to stand I just make the strap lower where the neck is up to my belt buckle.

4. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

I think we all sit to practice, however, stand to perform. First time standing will feel uncomfortable. I'm comfortable now in either position.

Yes to the guitar strap holding the guitar in the same position standing or sitting.

What is the right position? Spill some food on your shirt, the bass should hide it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

Unless you have giant man boobs. Then that would be to high.

7. Stevas

Stevas

I initially used this method as soon as I started out playing bass, I just sat down with it strapped on, then adjusted the tightness so that it almost hovers over my lap. I felt just as comfortable when I stood up, and now I actually prefer standing up when playing as it allows me to move to the music :)

8. Babaghanoush

Babaghanoush

I must be the odd one. I stand 90% of the time and yes I do get tired and sometimes sore. I'm just able to get in a better physical position when standing. My bass is not in the same position on my body both sitting and standing. I tried that for a long while and it was not a good position for me. Too many severe wrist angles. My most effective and efficient playing position is standing so that's what I do.

When I do sit however, I always use a strap even though it needs adjusted and really is not doing much work. It just feels right to have it there.

9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I sit all day working at a computer. When it comes time to play or practice, I stand for the welcome relief! I stand at all gigs, too, so it's very useful to practice in the identical position how I gig. Sitting is too scrunchy.

10. lexington125

lexington125

at home I sit, always. when playing w/ others, I stand, always. And I'm sure it has cost me something that my sitting and standing positions are nowhere near each other. (I don't play down by me knees, but I'm a good bit lower when standing than the sitting position)

11. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5 Supporting Member

It's hard to do the Pete Townsend windmills while sitting down, so I stand up quite a bit while practicing...

12. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

I sit down most of the time when I play and when I stand up I can't play as well I need to fix it but I haven't

13. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

14. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I'm a one man band these days and I do most of my practicing/recording sitting down. I'll have the strap set fairly high, so that my hands don't have to support the weight of the instrument. I do, however find myself standing when I need to record a bassline that requires fast (fingerstyle) right hand technique. I hang the strap low enough that I can fully extend my right arm and my wrist isn't bent at all. I find that this gives me much more endurance on my right hand and I can track take after take without getting sore.

15. 10cc

10cc

I like to practice on my acoustic beater. High action, tuff strings, big body to reach around, sit, stand and if I really wanna suck I'll kill the lights. After hours of this when it's "Showtime" my pbass feels wonderfully fast as hell and effortless.

16. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

I pretty much practice standing up now unless I'm learning a new song, I used to practice sitting more often that standing but it makes more sense for me practice how I play live.

17. poit57

poit57

I mostly play standing up with the body of my bass around waist level. If I do play sitting down, I let the weight of the bass rest on my lap and adjust the strap to remove any slack. This gives me the same positioning as if I were sitting without a strap, but the added security and freedom to not need to hold the bass the entire time.

18. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

I force myself to stand for at least 1/2 of my practice.

I practice at night after a long day so it's challenging.

19. Lownote38

Lownote38

I definitely prefer a bar stool instead of a chair if I'm sitting, but my tsrap is always adjusted so that my bass sits on my leg when I sit.

20. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

The best decision I ever made regarding practice is one of these. (It's called a video chair.)
    [​IMG]

(Pardon the obvious Red Sox plug.) You can find these everywhere for about $40 (without the Sox logo). They allow your elbows the freedom to move around. So I just lean back and work out my hands. It also allows my bass to hang where my strap usually does so (like the OP said) my playing angle is consistent. Plus the dang thing is just comfortable.

21. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

+1 used to have a chair just like this (minus the Sox logo), and it was great for practicing. Very comfortable and plenty of freedom to move my arms.