1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

PRAISE!!! Pre-production Flats from BSO

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mktrat, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

Did anybody else try these yet?

I swapped out my chromes for them last night and am pretty sure they are on to stay. The tension, tone and feel are great through my BA108. The next test will be through the full rig, but that won't happen until Friday.:bassist:

Anyway, thanks to Jason and whoever is manufacturing these strings. You guys ROCK!!:hyper:

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

3. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

Yeah those. 100-69-55-40 maybe? I can try to remember to check when I get home.

I don't know what manufacturer they are. I am not a string nerd though (no offense).
    They have what I would call maroon silk.

I love my BA108, but the big rig is actually the PA at church.

4. CM63

CM63

I ended up canceling all my plans for last night as I could not wait to put these on!
    So flexible and easy to play for these old hands( tendon issues)!
    Nice and woody sounding that will only improve with time. Highs, LOWS, mids its all there!
    Pleasantly pliable, effortless playability and well balanced to boot!
    I wish I had these when I first switched from rounds, it would have saved my tons of $$$! But then I may have never tried tapewounds,
    my dark lovelies.
    But these flats have found a permanent home on SR500PB!
    Thanks Jason!

P.S. My guess is they are from GHS... am I close?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Turxile

Turxile

You mentioned great tension, tone, feel. Since you replaced chromes, can you give an idea how they compare in these area?

7. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

The tension a bit less without being noodles.
    The tone is a bit more balanced nice highs, solid mids, and strong lows. Good balance between strings too.
    The feel is better balanced string to string.

BTW I have never played TI jazz flats so I can't compare to those, just GHS precision flats, EB flats, 9050's, Chromes, and Labella tapes.

I have a problem though now. My ears and left hand LOVE them, my right hand is not so sure. I didn't realize how much I dig in sometimes. So with my bass being fretless, I have to be careful of string slap against the board. This is NOT a knock on the strings or their construction. This is totally a technique issue for me to work out. I just have to spend some more time with them and it will work it self out.

8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Bump as i would like to know the manufacturer.

9. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I guess Jason will spill it out only when they're about to be released by the manufacturer.

10. Joedog

Joedog

Regarding the tension: if it is less and you are getting string slap. a tweak on the neck might be in order? Glad you are liking them....look forward to more info!

11. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

Yeah, I have been tweaking for the last few days. That particular neck settles slow so I have to be patient. Appreciate the insight though, never hurts to share some wisdom.

12. donn

donn

It would be funny if they turned out to be a batch of stock Ernie Ball flats that accidentally had the wrong silk put on them.

13. shawshank72

shawshank72

My vote was fender since they discontinued some sets.

14. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    If anything this is great publicity! I am surprised the company didnt just give some mystery sets to Jason to give away! now everyone is dying to try them! $38 they better be good! I think I will order some for my new jazz build coming!

15. Dredmahawkus

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    I just ordered some instead of TIs...I hope I didnt waste $38!!! they better be good!

can anyone compare the sound to TIs? do they have growl?

16. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

^ I put a set on last night and this is how I felt about them. First impressions are extremely positive.

They also reminded me of GHS Precision Flats taken in a new direction... all the woody thump... with more of everything else.

On my test bass... they have a really enjoyable (trombonish/fretless) singing quality in the upper registers... something I have not heard with any other flats I've played... TI, Sadowsky, Chromes, DR Legends, LaBella DTF, Dogal Carbon...

I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time with them to see if they become my flats of choice.

17. Dredmahawkus

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    That review makes me feel better about ordering some!

18. OEW3

OEW3

I put a set on today...very happy so far. Certainly less tension than the LaBella's I'm used to, but don't be run off by that, they aren't noodle-ish, and I'm a dig-in type of guy. They're clear, even, and the note does kind of sing, as someone mentioned previously. Not an incredible amount of sustain, which is fine by me. Though I've not been able to try them on my full rig yet, they sound great through my slightly crappy practice amp and an old viva Analog 360 pre-amp. I just wish the gauge was bigger. A .100 gauge E feels tiny to me. Maybe I'll get used to it. I'm very curious to hear how they sit in a mix. And at 38 bucks, it was worth the experiment, as opposed to 80 for the TI's. That said, I've never played TI's so I can't at all compare the two. Someday.
    On a side note, what led me to them was a botched used string deal here in the classifieds. I was trying to buy a set of TI's, and wound up with some Roto's (an actual honest mistake, the seller was horrified, refunded immediately and told me to keep the strings). But anyway, Jason from BSO helped me figure out the actual identity of the strings I had purchased, and it took awhile, so I'm thankful he is here in this forum, seemingly at our disposal (it was like three in the morning when I first emailed him, and we kept up back and forth until around five). That's some damn fine customer service, especially considering I hadn't actually bought anything from him in the previous/current circumstance. He was extremely patient and very thorough. And then he mentioned these strings. I bought them right away. I'm going to keep them on and see if they last. The true test. Thanks Jason.

P.S. I think they're GHS, but that's just a guess.

Edit: Playing them again just now, I want to take back my comment on the sustain. It holds for longer than I first gave it credit, for good or bad.

19. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Sunuvabb... I'd missed these! I think I might actually go 'n' try them!
    ...As soon as they start coming in a shorter scale... (I'm starting to hate this thing!) Either that, or I'll have to mount weird contraptions on my bass to make it accept long scale strings.
    This edit pleases me muchly!

20. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I wish they had a 5 string pre-production set available. All my main basses have flats, from fretted to fretless, and I've played many, many sets, but all are 5'ers. My curiosity is piqued and I'd love to try these, but alas, I don't even own a 4 string bass anymore...

21. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

Scour the classifieds you could get a "new" bass for your new strings.

I am looking for a 6 string set. I tried them out a church yesterday and they were fantastic, work perfect on my fretless J.