1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Praise to D'Addario XL's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Richard Sabines, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Richard Sabines

Richard Sabines

I bought a set of D'Addario XL's (45-105) for my P bass about four monts ago. For me those are the best roundwound strings in terms of sound, feel, right amount of tension, consistency and life time. I don't like new zingy strings and that lasted only about 2 or 3 weeks, after that the've been just the string I need with a consistant tone, and it seems it will last forever!. A 2 pack for $21? that's a steal, and maybe I will never use the other one, well just for a backup.

Waiting for my GHS's pressurewounds for my jazz and my GHS's precision flats for my other P. The chromes are off my P bass for now.
  2. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I know exactly what you mean. I've been really happy with the XL170 (45-100) and have them on about four of my basses. ...and the two pack is a great deal!
  3. Hell my name is

Hell my name is

I use EXL-165s on every bass I own, I love the sound and the price
  4. LHbassist

LHbassist

I've been using roundwounds since I first bought a set of Rotosounds in 1969. I'm also a bass repairman. I've used, and seen every string that has been produced since then. I think that the metal, and methods used in the making of D'Addario strings is better than any strings I have used prior, except for the Ernie Ball stainless rounds. NO strings last as long, or have the feel of them. Combined with the low price, they are the best on the market, in my opinion.
    The 'Chromes' flats are also about as good as it gets.
  5. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

XL160's for over 35 years! only broke 2 in all that time, and it was my bad, (tuned to high, in my younger days, Sharp spot on bridge was the other)
    Rotosounds seemed to wear down the frets to fast
    I replace strings at the 1st hint of being dead, 1 week at the very most if I'm working fulltime
  6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Daddario would be my alternate string if rotosound swing66 arent available at store and not wanting to wait for internet order of some to arrive.
  7. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Yeah - they're great strings for the money ... went through many sets of XL165.
  8. wmheilma

wmheilma

I get great results from D'Addario XL's on three out of four basses. The price is good, so i keep them new and bright. The other bass gets DR's about twice a year, so the strings are a bit more worn in and have more 'thud'.