Prat Basses- anyone got/ play one? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C5DEMON, Nov 22, 2011.

1. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

I'm interested in ordering a Prat Bass, has anyone played one or own one? How do the necks feel? how good is the quality and constriction? Thanks

2. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Just don't go to England with it. "Prat" is a derogatory name over there

3. thunder48

thunder48

Hi, as to your question.. I own several Prat Basses, four, five and six string models. The necks are incredible and the quality and construction are superb! @ Duuuuuuuuuude.... Oscar Fernandez Prat is a luthier, born in Barcelona, Spain. Check out his website: Luthier Prat Basses. As far as England is concerned, I would rather visit Spain. From what I hear, the food is much better AND the people are much more colorful and interesting!! Have a great day!

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have played a few Prat basses and the quality is second to none. Oscar Prat is one of the most talented luthiers to come on the scene in a while.

His necks are built like a tank(meaning they are extremely stable). From the ones that I have played the overall quality and attention to detail is none questionable at all.

From a scale of 1 - 10 from my experience with Prat basses overall and dealing with Oscar it's off the scale big time.

One of the things that really blew me away in regards to Oscars talent is that once I was able to get a gauge on his talents I went with him on the build of my 15 string bass(a tripled 5) and it is even more interesting because he had never built such a bass. But upon a thorough inspection one would never know that he had never built such an instrument.

Here is the build thread on my 15 string.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/15-string-prat-bass-jauqo-iii-x-712745/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

bump...would like to know anyone else could chime in with their experience.

7. Hoseff

Hoseff

I Love my Prat 5-string fretless. I owned 3 DP Customs before that and, although I think they are great instruments, my Prat has become my go to bass for all styles. The neck is incredibly comfortable and easy to play but what amazes me the most about this bass is how light it is. I asked Oscar to make me a bass that was as light weight as possible since long gigs were killing my back and he came through for me. The bass is light as a feather.

I HIGHLY recommend Prat Basses.

[​IMG]

8. bassyj

bassyj

I've been using my new Prat 6 for the last 3 or 4 weeks now and it is amazing! The bass looks flawless, plays like a dream, and sounds killer! I play a lot of different genres and this thing has done everything from Jazz to country, to funk, to rock and just sat perfectly in the mix in all situations...

Also working with Oscar is really cool... this Man knows his woods... everything from weight to tone to looks... If you want to build something he is the man to talk with and will try to point you in the right direction... He'll probably recommend that you use the villex pickups and passive booster system(which isn't a bad choice by any means), it's his favorite... but will put just about anything you want into the electronics cavity that you want.

my advice... hurry up and buy one before too many people find out how great his work is and the cost and time to make them go way up!

9. Antares

Antares

Oscar is as good a luthier out there. I will get some pics of the bass he built for me up soon.

He also is great the whole way through the process with emails and sending picture through the whole build.

Definitely cant go wrong with one of his basses.

10. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Hey guys, since posting this thread some time ago i have ordered a custom 9-string and it will be arriving in a week or so. I'll give my overall thoughts about it when i can finally play it :)

@ bassyj - Hey Jared! This is Ross, good to see ya here!

11. Mokebass

Mokebass

The Pratt bass not only looks good but also sounds OK.

12. GYang

GYang

Oscar has capability, passion and soul to reach very top of bass builder status, at least based on positive reactions of people who visited his booth on NAMM. Stellar craftmanship, meticulous choice of woods and mission to reach perfection, while being open toward novelties are some of genuine qualities of rising star luthier Oscar Fernandes spiritus movens behind Prat Basses.
    Number one priority are hand in hand- sound and playability, followed by sense of aesthetic and not overcomplicated beauty of design.
    Prat Model I is on more traditional side of what Oscar produces. Comparing with other basses that I continuously play for many years (Sadowsky, Ken Smith, Status, Wal), I can say that Prat is definitely on par with any of them and with potential to go beyond.
    For us as :bassist:bass players it is one more great opportunity to fulfill our dreams.:hyper:
    Disclaimer: I'm not endorser or even owner of Prat bass (yet).

I hope soon to load much better pics and some recorded tracks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. GYang

GYang

6 months later, now as Prat bass owner, I can confirm that I prefer Prat's 5 string over my Ken Smith and Wal MKII 5, which are with few Warwicks my main working axes.
    Prat has the most versatile sound (Villex+Noll) and overall ergonomics and playability (in practical 3-4 hours gigs) wins over competition.
    My warm advice to anyone buying new bass over 2,5-3 k is to consider this bass builder, he is gifted and has natural sense to make things totally right.

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Yes the Knoll and Villex combination are perfect together.

15. GYang

GYang

Did Knoll start to make active electronics ? :D

OK joke, it is still Noll (BTW 3-way tone is somehow more musically usable than 4-way).
    Villex passive rotary booster is actually very usable, as well (some really funks sounds possible) and tonal range is simply amazing.
    I wish more guys would have chance to try Prat basses.