Pre-Amp Suggestion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by blanquista, Dec 24, 2013.

1. blanquista

blanquista

Hello everyone this is my first post!

I'm trying to build a pedalboard for my gigs. I want to play straight through the PA without micking the cab.

I have a MIA Jazz, and another MIA P is on the way.

Here are my pedals and how I plan to set them up:

Fender MIA J >> Korg Pitchblack - PreAmp - MXR 10 Band EQ - EHX Chorus - MXR Octave - MXR Compressor - Radial JDI >> PA

So I need a Preamp to shape my tones with footswitches. I play with the pick and with the fingers. I play mostly grunge and post-punk style, but don't like distortion or overdrive tones.

I love passive basses and don't want to deal with the phantom power thing (a potential problem here in my city) so I prefer a passive DI. That's why I need a strong pedal Pre-Amp.

budget: 300 $

What do you prefer? And do you think a need a Booster pedal too?

Thanks!

2. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

Lots of good options in your price range.

There's always the Sansamp BDDI, but I think that excels more at dirty tones.
    The Aguilar Tone Hammer is nice, too. I've seen a few listed in the TB Classifieds lately.

Maybe you should check out the Radial Bassbone? I've never used one, but it might allow you to eliminate the JDI from your chain if you put it at the end.

There's also some nice looking pedal preamps by Xotic that I've never used.

Another pedal preamp that I've been very interested in trying is the Tronographic Rusty Box.

3. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Do you need to be able to drive a power amp with it?

Lonnybass

4. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

I have tried quite a few pre-amps and it seems like we play a similar type of music. I do enjoy overdrive and occasional distortion, but I always keep my pre-amp pretty clean. Just the slightest bit of hair.
    That said the new Tech 21 VTDI is outstanding for clean tones. The B7K also has a good clean-ish tone.
    If your looking for 100% sterile, the Enabler seems like a great choice, though I haven't tried it.
    +1 on the poweramp question. If so, the VTDI or even the version 2 will give you a great tone for the type of music you play.
    Also, the Sadowsky pre sounds really great. Its gonna give you that active type tone, but if you enjoy clean, you might love it.
    Good luck

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SpecialBlender

SpecialBlender

I've been using the Radial Bassbone for my country/60's band but really prefer my Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe for flexibility.

The Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe has 2 separate bass inputs with 3 programmable settings for each bass or if you wish 6 presets for one bass. I've used is as a pre-amp only direct into a Peavey TNT150 power amp in (bypassing all eq etc.) and it worked really well. I also use it with my GB Shuttlemax 12 going to instrument input. Plug in, call up the pre-set for that rig and away you go.
    You can pick up used for around 150.00.

Here's the link:
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/bassdriverdlx.html

7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I'm a die-hard SansAmp fan, been using mine for over 5 years and still love what it brings: preamp, DI, toneshaping (1 option for the BDDI, 3 for the PBDDI and 6 for the Deluxe version)... the thing I love less about it is the OD, but it still worked fine for the few times I used it. I think it's better at clean tones than its VT counterpart, but that's just me. I still added a VT to get a dirtier tone when needed.

MXR is coming out with a much-anticipated preamp also..
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/mxr-bass-innovations-1029093/

8. markanini

markanini

I keep looking for a pre thats versatile and toneful...Tech 21 VT is interesting but kind of limited due to the SVT heritage.

9. blanquista

blanquista

Very good suggestions, thank you all.

If I could stay under my budget I would love to drive a power-amp with a pre-amp but usually the venues here have cheap bass head+cabinets for stage sound which I could live with.

I would love to shape the tone at the beginning. So I prefer my DI at the end.

I don't like to use batteries and Bassbone need a 15v power supply so I would need another adaptor. I pass this one.

So my options are;

- Sansamp VT DI
    - Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe
    - Tri-Logic
    - Aguilar Tone Hammer

I'll check them all out, thanks for your help!

10. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde

Its interesting that you mentioned you wanted to shape your tone with a foot switch. Am I to understand that you want several different tones in one preamp accessible through switches? I dont think the preamps listed here will help since you would have to fiddle with knobs for each independent tone you want. Perhaps instead of the 10band eq you have, replace it with a Soundblox EQ pedal or maybe a Zoom (I have a ms60b) pedal where you can tap the switch to go between different preset EQ or amp/tone parameters.

11. blanquista

blanquista

Yes you're right, but my 10 band EQ is not always on. Only when I play with my fingers.

I just need two different tone options (for pick and finger) and need them on the preamp. I thought all of these preamps have at least 2 preset tones, which I could switch with my foot.

12. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde

Oh, only two tones. Then you're in good shape with plenty options then :) the Aggie pre is really nice

13. dune2k

dune2k

also give the mxr bass di a try. ignore the distortio part if you don't lke it, but the clean eq/di part is pretty nice. also the sadowsky preamp/di might be worth a try.

i recently bought a vt di, though my application contains dirt i must say it`s quite flexible at what it does. for just clean and eqed w/o distortion aguilar tone hammer or mxr bass di would be my go to dis.