Pre-Gib Tobias AC power?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amerbs38, Apr 1, 2014.

1. amerbs38

amerbs38 Supporting Member

2. Brams77

Brams77 Supporting Member

Yeah, I doubt this was done originally like that...Also the Jack looks off and messed with and the bridge is really weirdly placed, it's even hanging over the edge on one side, maybe it was moved by some smartass, I cant believe mr Tobias or one of his crew would place it like that.. I own a 6 classic from 86 and they normally place the bridges quite near to the bridge pickup on mine it is and on all models ive seen too...
  3. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I know that Mike did some basses with XLR outputs and, presumably, phantom power.
    The bridge really looks badly done, oddly placed and is not original.
  4. Brams77

The bridge is original, I had the same type of bridge on another pre Nashville bass myself, it's from Wilkinson, just the placement is very off... If you read between the lines the seller changed out the preamp and that is a NTBT 918 hopefully a 918F a/p...
    The price however is quite good this is a low serial even before Gibson was involved... I would consider this bass fix it up a bit and refin it in black;)
    I'm quite sure this is a fine bass!

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

The bridge does look odd. It's a shame to mess up a nice bass.
    A Basic 6 with low S/N is a rare Tobias IME.
    Finish it in black? Really!
  7. Brams77

Yeah if you want to cover up the holes of that stupid xlr, ofcourse that needs to go, move the a/p switch to where it is supposed to be, mount a better bridge or move it... You need to plug all that, if you leave it clear you'll see the plugged result..when you give it a color you don't... The hole in front of the volume knob was already plugged and it's easy to spot, so this is what I mean with that..
    Aarghh I'm just day dreaming here man, basics also came in black and they look fantastic, but already owning a classic 6 #4XX it only comes to day dreaming;)
  8. amerbs38

amerbs38 Supporting Member

OK, I got it for 1899...just need to shave the neck down to a 5 string, probably with a grinder or maybe a band saw...cant wait!
  9. Brams77

Good thinking there hehe, I was just thinking of transforming my 6 into a 3 string bass whoohoo, this is gonna be so cool!
    I'm gonna run a truck over it.. Prolly twice;)
  10. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Yeh, don't forget to move the bridge closer to the pickup, it won't mess up the tuning or anything. ;) :bag:

Very EG