1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pre-Gibson Tobias Owners Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WordToHerb, May 18, 2009.

1. WordToHerb

WordToHerb

Alright well I searched around a little and I was surprised to find that a club didnt already exist for Pre-Gibson Tobias owners, although there is a picture thread here. Anyway I decided to start one. All you have to do is tell me your an owner and I'l add your name to the list. Pictures are welcome of coarse and I thought it would be cool if everyone posted their serial number and il put it next to your name on the list. I'l try to keep the thread as up to date as possible.

Here is the list so far:

1) WordToHerb (#753)
    2) Whoapower (#1751)
    3) evilgus (#1162, #616, #1983)
    4) Hydra7 (#1426)
    5) leloupa (#2008)
    6) dkterry (#1608)
    7) kesslari (#1976)
    8) Debased (#720)
    9) rnlytton (#478)
  2. WordToHerb

WordToHerb

Here is mine!

1988 Pre-Gibson Tobias Classic 5 #753
    Walnut Body
    Goncalo Alves Top
    Flamed Birdseye Maple Neck
    Wenge Neck Laminate
    Pau Ferro Fingerboard

When i bought the bass i was told that it belonged to Bobby Sheehan from Blues Traveler before he passed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. whoapower

whoapower Supporting Member

1992 Basic 6. #1751. (also pictured, a late 90's Gibson Tobias Guitar - not bass)

[​IMG]
  4. WordToHerb

WordToHerb

very cool! It's pretty rare to see a tobias guitar as well. your #2!
  5. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Join me up!

I currently own Classic 5 #1162 and Basic 6 FL #616. The Classic has a walnut body, purpleheart/birds-eye maple neck, wenge top, black hardware. The Basic has a deep-blue finish, chrome hardware and *extremely* low wear for it's age.

Pics to come...

Cheers,

EG
  6. WordToHerb

WordToHerb

Awesome!. Your number 3. I can't wait for pics since both of those basses sound gorgeous
  7. Hydra7

Hydra7

I own a Tobias Classic 6-String #1426.

I'll post a photograph soon!
  8. leloupa

leloupa

9. WordToHerb

WordToHerb

4) Hydra7 (#1426)
    5) leloupa (#2008)

That is a very cool color green by the way!
  10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    makes me think of POISON!

very cool!
  11. leloupa

leloupa

thank you.

yep, poison-like, a kind of Shrek-vomit-green. :)
    In full sunlight the bass turns into a sunburst going from yellow in the centre to green on the edge of the body.
    I really love this bass. I bought it used for 1500 dollar it's in a like new condition, really fantastic.
  12. evilgus

I can see this thread becoming very GAS-inducing very quickly, such sexy basses! :)

Here's my Basic 6 FL...

EG

Attached Files:

13. evilgus

And my Classic 5!

EG

Attached Files:

14. dkterry

dkterry Supporting Member

dkterry (#1608) pre-gibson signature 5 goncalo alves top & back with walnut body & maple (5-piece). Neck is walnut/maple/purpleheart/wenge (9 piece).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Classic 5, #1976
    Walnut top, alder body, mondo thick wenge tone plate, tone for days
    [​IMG]
  16. Debased

Debased

Count me in :).

'88 Classic #720. Goncalo alves over alder; Eastern flame maple neck with wenge stringers, and a pau ferro board. I've already posted pics in the "pre-Gib show time" thread, but here are a few more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has a Jim Williams preamp with sweepable freq centers, which is a tremendous improvement over the stock TCT while still maintaining the classic warm, smokey Tobias tonal character, though I still have the original Bart.

[​IMG]
  17. WordToHerb

WordToHerb

7) kesslari
    8) Debased
  18. swood_de

swood_de Gold Supporting Member

Man, that flame maple 5 string that's pictured on the cover of the old Tobias brochure shown in the previous post is killer. I've been searching for that bass for years!
  19. rnlytton

rnlytton

Tobias Basic 5-string S/N 478.

Attached Files:

20. evilgus

Hey,

Has anyone else tried R. Cocco strings on their pre-Gib fretted? I nearly went close to selling my C5, after blowing my budget on an Alembic Rogue, but after fitting some of these strings, it's sounding so good I can't stop playing it! I was running MTD steels on it, which are pretty good in their own right, but something about the R.Cs just brings out the warmth and low mids, especially the bridge pickup. They have a bit of mid/upper-mid scoop going on, so definitely not a "even response" string, but it seems to work well! And they also have a smooth feel to them, which really suits the smooth/rubbery feel of the bass...a bonus!

I don't think it's related, but along with the new strings, I've also gotten the action on the bass completely nailed, so it's super-fast to play, but still PHAT. The (non-original) NTMB pre probably helps with that, it's HUGE!

Cheers,

EG