Preamp and pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by happychicken, Mar 20, 2014.

1. happychicken

happychicken Supporting Member

Hi all! I recently got a bass in trade and I am completely lost with what the pots do. (Hope pots is the right term- knobs then) I was told its a glockenlang pre with ken Armstrong pickups. Bass sounds good but not modern enough for me. I will post pic later if anyone could tell me what controls are supposed to do so I could tell if there all working.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You can say either pots or knobs in this case--the pots are the control mechanisms and the knobs are the plastic or metal caps on top.

Glock pre's come in more than one configuration. How many knobs and switches are there?

The most common config is 3 bands of EQ (hi, mid, lo) plus one of two vol-blend setups: either one volume knob for each pickup, or one master vol knob and a blend knob for the pups.

The best way to find out which knob is which is just to experiment and listen.

3. happychicken

happychicken Supporting Member

Yeah there are 4 knobs the last being a double stack. Two switches one i am convinced does nothing. One I think switches active passive. I would like to get a more modern sounding pre even if some knobs aren't used

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Most people would say the Glock is one of the most modern-sounding preamps in existence.

What exactly are you hearing that doesn't sound the way you want? Because I'm betting the cause is elsewhere.

5. Register to disable this ad