1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Preamp and pups for P Bass Lyte - need a little guidance

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jdhughesjr, Mar 18, 2014.

1. jdhughesjr

jdhughesjr

I have been reading on here for a couple of days to get ideas on what to do with my old Fender P Bass Lyte (bought new in 1989).

There are a lot of good ideas in this forum but I'm really kind of trying to get down to a consensus ...

preamp ..... Looks like the Audere Classic is a favorite on here. Anybody favor a different one???

pups .... I'm seeing people loving the Bill Lawrence P-46 (would you pair a Lawrence J-45 with it or something else?) and I am seeing some love for the EMG P-J set (X-series or not?). Also seen some people liking the Bartolini. Kind of leaning toward EMG right now but would love feedback. Have no idea on the standard P-J active or the X-series. Really need some guidance here.

Thanks for the help folks! Been playing my MusicMan Sterling for a number of years but want to get my old Lyte into rotation. Need it to grow a pair before it can stand up with the MM.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I can assist with the EMG question, plus I can tell you what kind of pickups NOT to use. I've tried both the PJ and the PJX set in my 95 P Lyte, plus I tried a handful of other pickups in it as well.

The PJ and PJX's sound pretty similar, both have a very clean and clear tone and lots of balls, but the PJX set is considerably higher in the highs and has a little extra low frequency response. Some like what the PJX set does...I prefer the regular PJ's. I use mine with a BQC preamp running at 9v, and aside from the clarity of the actives not sounding quite like a passive pickup, I can dial up a sound that matches tonally with my main Precision which has a passive Geezer Butler P. A bit of a jigsaw puzzle fitting it all in there (hence the reason I don't run it with two 9v's, but I don't think there's much of a difference anyway), but I made it fit without any extra routing. By far the EMG's have worked the best out of what I've tried, and the BQC just makes it all that much better.

Anyway, what kind of pickups not to get in the P Lyte are pickups with average vintage P or J output. That rules out the crap set of Fender pickups/preamp they came with, and vintage-style passives. They sound great in a Precision or a Jazz, but in the Lyte the vintage-style pickups sound very wimpy and neutered. Bill Lawrence (RIP) makes a real nice pickup, but I don't think the Lyte is the kind of bass for a P46, IMHO of course. Hot passive pickups like the Duncan Quarter Pounders and the DiMarzio Model PJ set sound good in them, especially the Model PJ's, but they were a little dark for my tastes. Can't tell you how Barts would sound, but I've never been into them so I never bothered trying them. Pickup choices are pretty personal, though, and I wouldn't tell you not to look into them. But as far as I'm concerned, EMG's rock a P Lyte. And I got these pre-endorsement so it's not just a sales job ;)

3. jdhughesjr

jdhughesjr

Thanks JimmyM! Appreciate the feedback!

4. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    What is missing in the sound of the bass now?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bredian

Bredian Supporting Member

thanks Jimmy M, I bought a set of PJx off ebay that came with the stock 3 knob controls set... so far not impressive... and likely will buy the matching pre amp... thinking the BTS system, not necessarily because is a little less $$, but it uses 4 non stacked controls, where your control has a stacked bass/treble and an added mid control....

typically I set my current Lyte (stock pups) at full tone gain all the time, with the amp set flat.

The new pups have been going into project Epiphones with PJ setups... Got plenty of space for a 2nd 9 volt, whatever that might do.

Ultimately, these pups might end up in the Lyte, but also looking at the Victor Wooten EMGs on Best Bass Gear...

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'll tell you, Bredian, that mid control made all the difference to me. I have basses with the BTS in it and they're very good, but the mid control brings them to another dimension IMHO. Replaced all but one BTS with the BQC, and the only reason I haven't is because it's a 5 that I never use anymore.

8. Bredian

Bredian Supporting Member

The master speaks, bredian listens..

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well that's very nice of you to say ;) but the fact is that a lot of who I consider masters have different tastes than I do, so as always, use your own judgment and get what's right for you, not me.