1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Preamp Decision

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DagoMaino, Jan 17, 2014.

1. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

Alright! I'm switching from a SVT 4Pro set up to an preamp pedal/amp rig for both cost and versatility. The two main cabinets that I use are an Ampeg SVT 810 and an Ampeg PR-410.

Please keep it to the short list or something that fits the bill.

Needs:
    - Be able to drive an amp
    - DI out
    - Good tone stack!

Wants: In order.
    - Selectable gain stage or second channel.
    - Tuner out.
    - Tube
    - Gate and/or compression

I'd like to keep it in the $300 and under range. If I go above that then I might as well get the Meatsmoke I will want eventually.

Short list:
    Aguilar ToneHammer
    Darkglass B7K
    Eden WTDI
    Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe
    Sadowski Preamp (I'd likely just build a clone to try)

Any feedback or other suggestions? (please keep it to applicable qualifications and price range).

Also, I have an MXR M80. I like it but it goes somewhere else in my arsenal and I don't want another.
  2. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

If you liked the Ampeg sound, the VT deluxe would be my first choice. The tone hammer and Eden are nice too, just a completely different tone. Never tried the Darkglass or Sadowski though.
  3. DagoMaino

I will likely buy a VT deluxe eventually regardless of which I get now just for those scenarios where I want good simple rock tone and leave my pedal board at home. My initial goal is versatility though because I use my pedal board quite often right now for a range of music. So far the ToneHammer is probably edging out the others.
  4. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

You ever consider the 3leaf enabler? It's probably the most transparent of the bunch you listed though. But it can most definitely drive a power amp, 3band eq, and mid switch.
  5. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Maybe the new EBS Valvedrive DI? Hasn't been released yet so some of the details are sketchy.
  6. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

I was going to recommend the VT Deluxe if having dual channel/gain staging is that importnant, you can actually use the effects loop to be a tuner out if you so desired. Definitely drives an amp. Obviously it does not have the ability to turn off speaker sim, which might be less desirable as a preamp to an amp to a cab. The VT DI maybe?
  7. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Meatsmoke Tube Pre now you can close the thread sir and you're welcome :) don't settle I think they still may be on sale.
  8. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

9. DagoMaino

What is this sale that you speak of?
  10. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

I would completely recommend the B7K, the only issue is it does not have two channels or a selectable dirt section. However, you can use it as a very close to clean pre and it sounds amazing. Simpy amazing. Im a total DG fanboy, Ill admit. But I stand by and believe in their products. Its not for everyone but it would def be worth checking out. If you dont love it, you wont have a hard time flipping it here. Also recommend the Enabler. Never used it but I hear very good things about it.