1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Preamp For Doubling

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by kirkm24, Jan 19, 2014.

1. kirkm24

kirkm24 Supporting Member

I am getting into the world of "doubling" between electric and acoustic upright. I have been researching options and there seems to be so many options available.

Right now, I use a REDDI direct into the house with Shure in ear monitors (SE425 dual drivers) and I love the sound. My Electric Bass is a Marcus Miller modified with Aguilar Electronics.

I am probably going to get a Realist pickup because I am more interested in a darker sound for the upright. When I played upright in the past, I used an Azola Bug Bass EUB and just plugged it straight into an SWR amp with no preamp.

Has anyone ran a Realist straight into a REDDI? Is a preamp required? I want to incorporate the REDDI into my setup somehow because it sounds so great but maybe with the UB it doesn't.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

If you only look at it, there actually aren't that many true two channel amps for doubling on the market. The new Flex/Clarus+ From Acoustic Image, The Markbass LMK (now discontinued), and a Walter Woods (probably out of your price range).

All great stuff. With your rig, it is conceivable that you could just use the Headway EDB-2 as your pre amp. It has a single channel EQ that you could assign to Channel 1, and a second channel that you would use for your Fender Jazz. That gives you full EQ for the DB, and a pre amp gain stage for the EB. That could then be run to the REDDI, if you aren't using any amplifier.

Well, the Realist is a very well thought out pickup. I consider the Realist Wood, as it's a less like to dent the top of your bass. The Realist Life Line is also an option, provided you have bridge adjusters on your instrument.

The REDDI has a 1 Megohm input impedance, that's very compatible with the Realist, but it doesn't solve your need for a two channel device, for doubling. You could indeed just run the REDDI directly into the mains, but generally running a DB direct into the house with monitors isn't the ideal setup, unless you have a individual monitor channel for the bass.

Ric

3. kirkm24

Thanks for the advise on the Headway. I wasn't familiar with those but just looked them up. Looks very interesting.

4. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Radial Bassbone!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kirkm24

The Basswitch looks cool but expensive, I'd also hate lugging a REDDI and that as they are both large... I guess I could just use the DI out on the Basswitch but I'd lose the magic that is the REDDI.

7. Ric Vice

Kirk,
    The EDB-2 is very small, and is threaded on the bottom of the box, so you can easily attach it to a microphone stand, so it's always at your fingertips for minor EQ changes. If you download the manual, from their website, it will give you all the info.

Ric

8. dkimbrobass

dkimbrobass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Acoustic Amplification
    In order of preference,

-Basswitch (can vary impedance, and is super-flexible, but, expensive).
    -Radial
    -Headway

IMO. -DK

9. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

EDB-2 as a pre is a great option.
    I have 3 70's style jazz basses and a Shen SB100 upright.
    I'd start with the EDB-2 first, I love mine and it has a mic input.

10. Barcza

Barcza

The Radial Bassbone has only 500kohms input impedance.

Other option is EBS Microbass II, designed for doubling,
    Or the Radial Firefly tube DI,similar feel than REDDI, but with two Channel and adjustable input impedance for both inputs, ( expensive ).
    You can doubling with a single channel tool, with mute and bypass switch too, like sadowsky oouboard.

11. CalgAaron

CalgAaron

Look into the new Radial Bassbone OD. It has more options for the upright than the standard Bassbone. I've been using the Bassbone for the last 5 months. It's great but you'll need a pre for it I found.

I acquired The Doubler by Euphonic Audio this week. It's a terrific micro head with two channels one for electric and the other for upright. At 550w it's powerful enough to run an Aguilar 212 and get asked to turn down without being put through the PA. I'm selling my Bassbone.

12. shwashwa

shwashwa

the answer for you is the radial pz pre. its awesome. i use it for both basses. you can set one input impedance to optimize upright bass pickups and one for electric(although having too high an input impedance for electric wont be a bad thing like too low would.) the only down side to this is the fact that it has only one EQ to use with both channels, so you would have to twist knobs if you needed to change sounds on the device itself. no worry, the new one they have with the over drive solves this problem! 2 channels of eq, all the features of the pz pre, plus over drive! im getting one. i have been very outspoken in my praise for the pz pre over the years. i love it so much i bought a second one to keep in my gig bag at all times and one for the house. lately for upright i have been using some very mild overdrive. if this new unit's overdrive sounds good (not all sound good) it will enable me to use only one outboard device rather than 2. lately ive been using the pz pre into a tone hammer pedal or a micro red dragon.

13. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

+1
    I've got the PZed-Pre. Though the 15v bites, the rest of the feature set makes it worthwhile.
    I gig upright and "double" at home. Set the EQ for the upright, and an extra EQ pedal between the E-Slabass and the PZed. I, too, have been outspoken in my praise of the PZed-Pre, and will also be checking out the new BB-OD. I have the EA Micro two-channel amp, so I could avoid the PZed with the E-bass completely if I wanted to...

14. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

If you are using in ears only and no amp or monitors I wouldn't use a pick up or your Reddi at all and instead use a mic

15. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Just ordered the Radial Bassbone Od- can't wait

16. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

^ Score!
    I'd like to hear from anybody who has both the PZed-pre and the BB-OD and how they compare.

Where's JimmyM? He doubles and uses a Reddi, IIRC, but I don't know if he runs the DB through the Reddi. I thought he'd have a good comment or two on the subject.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is a very cool feature. The EDB-2 is a great unit, for sure. The new AI Flex preamp also has the mic stand mounting option, and it's a great preamp for doubling.

18. Ric Vice

Both are incredible pre amps, which one you choose would depend on your budget and your needs, I guess. The EDB-2 is roughly half the price of the Flex, so for those on a budget, that's certainly a consideration.

It's also a battery powered device, so you have the option of running it without using a "wall wart". The Flex is a full two channel pre, with all the bells and whistles and backed by Acoustic Image's stellar service. Both units have the right stuff to combine a condenser mic and a pickup, without having to use additional boxes.

Ric

19. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars