1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Preamp for DPA 4099B

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by paperbag1213, Dec 18, 2012.

1. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

Hello, I was interested in getting a DPA mic but I'm not sure what preamp (phantom) that I need to use. Is there a preamp that I could attach to my bass. ie not have a stomp box or anything like that.

Thanks

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Any Phantom Power supply will work, but the mic sounds best with one that provides 48 volts. Take a look at the chart below. DPA actually makes a one channel battery powered one, but it costs @$300.00. It's the smallest one I know of, and even it would't attach to the instrument easily. Since I don't use the mic, in conjunction with my amplifier, I never need one. As good as that mic is, it will still feed back into an amp. If you intend to use the 4099 with an amp you will need the features of a "stomp box" like the Headway EDB-1 to keep it from feeding back into the amp.

Ric

Attached Files:

3. neddyrow

neddyrow

I just got my DPA a few months ago and am currently playing it without a preamp. Ive been going straight FOH. I like the sound i get with it. I do have a few gigs coming up where I'm going to try an amp and a preamp will most likely be needed. I've ordered the art tube V3 preamp that is offered with the DPA on the Gollihur website. I'll have it soon and let you know. I'm sure there's a few headway guys that'll tell you about that one which seems to be the best. I'm going to try the art tube just on price factor. Hoping that works since I already dropped over $500 for the mic. And if there are some art tube users out there, I'd like to hear their input.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

+1 There are several TB players using the ART and have commented that it works great. I'll be interested to see if you get good results running it into an amplifier. That wasn't a particularly successful option for me, but that's into a Walter Woods Amplifier that already has a great pre amp of it's own. Putting the Headway EQ in front of the Woods EQ created a situation where two pre amps of that quality was one to many.

Ric

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tickbite

tickbite

I've been using the ART V3 into my amp with success, but recently started using the EBS Microbass II with much better results with regard to feedback and tone control in my opinion. Even though the Microbass II can be powered by phantom power, it doesn't supply it to input devices so I use an independent phantom power supply for the DPA4099B.

7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Disclosures:
    Too many to list.
    I just bought this to supply phantom power to my DPA 4099:

Should take delivery this coming week.

Denecke PS-1A

Runs on one 9V battery.

[​IMG]

Most likely will run it into a Headway EBD-1 or Avalon Vt-737sp.

8. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

I bought a 2 channel DPA power supply from B&H for just a bit over $200 if I remember correctly. It was really easy to clip it on to my quiver and coil up the cord coming from the DPA. Going straight into the Headway from there proved to be a fine onstage solution.