1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Preamp for magnetic and piezo

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Per H, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Per H

Per H

On my bass there is a magnetic and a piezo pick-up. A simple onboard preamp adapts impedance for them, and there is only one treble control, and it works only on the piezo. When both are blend 50/50 the sound is as i like it, except it needs more treble. Adding treble after the onboard preamp adds more hiss than i like.
    Do any of you know an onboard thing with possibilities for my setup (piez/mag) - and with tone shaping possibilities - and with low noise? Please tell me... :hyper: /// Per
  2. Derek Balonek

Derek Balonek

I do not recall the name, but I believe Bartolini makes one for mag/piezo.
  3. Tele295

Tele295

4. Per H

Per H

Derek: Can´t find one at Bart - and either at EMG.
    Tele295: It is the preamp for the magnetic that makes the hiss.

Thanks to the both of you for your interest! // Per H
  5. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

Bartolini MPB2-918
    http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/electronics/MPB2_918/MPB2-918.htm

LR Baggs makes the Control-X Preamp which though designed for electric guitars may work well on a bass. Generally Baggs stuff sounds great.

It might be worth dropping an email to Graphtech. They make a magnetic/midi blending preamp called the Ghost System. Since the midi relies on piezo saddles it could probably be used just as a mag/piezo buffer/blend. Great company.

I've always preferred to use an outboard preamp like the Raven Labs PMB. It's no longer available but things like a D-TAR Solstice or Headway EDB-1 will do the job. Downside is another piece of gear to carry and either a stereo jack on your bass with a split cord or 2 jacks/2 chords. Depending on your bass though sometimes outboard isn't practical.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

I use the Cafe Walter to blend a piezo with a pair of passive mags; it works fine that way.

There's also the John East MPB-01.