1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Preamp for magnetic and piezo

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Per H, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Per H

Per H

On my bass there is a magnetic and a piezo pick-up. A simple onboard preamp adapts impedance for them, and there is only one treble control, and it works only on the piezo. When both are blend 50/50 the sound is as i like it, except it needs more treble. Adding treble after the onboard preamp adds more hiss than i like.
    Do any of you know an onboard thing with possibilities for my setup (piez/mag) - and with tone shaping possibilities - and with low noise? Please tell me... :hyper: /// Per

2. Derek Balonek

Derek Balonek

I do not recall the name, but I believe Bartolini makes one for mag/piezo.

3. Tele295

Tele295

4. Per H

Per H

Derek: Can´t find one at Bart - and either at EMG.
    Tele295: It is the preamp for the magnetic that makes the hiss.

Thanks to the both of you for your interest! // Per H

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

Bartolini MPB2-918
    http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/electronics/MPB2_918/MPB2-918.htm

LR Baggs makes the Control-X Preamp which though designed for electric guitars may work well on a bass. Generally Baggs stuff sounds great.

It might be worth dropping an email to Graphtech. They make a magnetic/midi blending preamp called the Ghost System. Since the midi relies on piezo saddles it could probably be used just as a mag/piezo buffer/blend. Great company.

I've always preferred to use an outboard preamp like the Raven Labs PMB. It's no longer available but things like a D-TAR Solstice or Headway EDB-1 will do the job. Downside is another piece of gear to carry and either a stereo jack on your bass with a split cord or 2 jacks/2 chords. Depending on your bass though sometimes outboard isn't practical.

7. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

I use the Cafe Walter to blend a piezo with a pair of passive mags; it works fine that way.

There's also the John East MPB-01.