1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Preamp Help - F-BassSound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Infrasonik B., Jan 11, 2011.

1. Infrasonik B.

Infrasonik B.

Hey,

Does anyone know what preamps are in the F-Bass' ?

I've been looking at the Auderes and the Nordys because I read good things about them but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing/looking for with preamps. I just got a cheap 6 string fretless and I know changing the preamp would do it wonders so if anyone has any advice that'd be great!

The bass in question is the good old Rondo Music Douglas WEB-846.

Thanks guys!
  2. dlvalure

dlvalure

i think they use a mike pope preamp but guy correct me if im wrong
  3. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

IIRC they use their own pre-amp

IMHO and IME any preamp can only alter the tone that is already there (to various levels, ways. extremes), so if the F-bass tone is what you are after, I'd suggest that you start off with pickups that provide a J-ish tone (I call it "modern vintage") and then try to move on from there.

Just a suggestion YMMV etc etc
  4. Infrasonik B.

Infrasonik B.

The bass already has semi-decent active jazz pups which I will be chaning once the problem I have is fixed.

The problem is a loud hiss that gets better or worse as I turn the tone knobs. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking that changing the preamp and maybe sheilding would solve this.

Having said that, I'm not very knowledgeable with preamps but I really like the tone Alain Caron has on his signature F-Bass, it really has that distinctive tone you could only get on a fretless and I'm looking for something along those lines.

Basically, I'm asking if different brands of preamps have different tone (which I'm guessing they do) and if so where to start looking brand/type wise for the sound I'm looking for.

Thanks for the input!
  5. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

High-frequency hiss is usually caused by lack of shielding. Any kind of rather soft and "undefined" hiss is caused by that. Shielding the internals with copper tape and grounding that shield to the jack sleeve should lower it considerably.
  6. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth

A loud hiss is also the sound of a ****** preamp as well.
  7. Fretweld6

Fretweld6

Seymour-Duncan is what they use(3band min. for fretless to set mids correctly) and their own hand wound pickups! Ebony fingerboard and bridge would give you something closer too. Then F Bass brand strings work very well too! Etc etc...

Did you file the nut down to proper fretless clearances yet? Mine became night N day better after i set the nut action from fretted use like 3/16" down to 0.015" on B and E strings.....0.012" on A and D strings and then 0.010" on the G an C strings.