1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Preamp or Gibson fuzz solution?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andii Syckz, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

I have this short scale Ibanez GaxB150 bass. It has one soapbar pickup with two conductor wires and i was wondering if i could:

Go for a passive preamp (like g&L with bass and treble less the mini switch) or do like gibsons infamous Eb-0 fuzztone circuit (requireing two batteries (double As?)

Anyway, just wondering if it's possible cause i've done a tone control to it but it doesnt give much definition.
  2. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

BUmp. Anyone, anyone?
  3. Crater

Crater

You can add a preamp to almost any bass, just need to make sure it will fit inside the control cavity. Don't forget that a 9v battery has to fit inside there too. If there's not room, then you'll have to have a battery box routed out of the body or have the control cavity routed to make it larger. If you have to pay to have that done, it could get expensive.

Preamps range in price from about $50 (look up 'BassMods' on eBay), to about $100 - $150 (EMG, Bartolini) and on up...(Aguilar, Glockenclang, ect...) There's many different types and configurations: 2-band (bass, treble), 3-band, some have "sweepable" mids and other features. It all depends on what kind of sound you want, and how many knobs you want to twiddle. More knobs = more $$. EMG has a 2-band preamp with concentric (stacked) knobs so you can replace your existing passive tone control with an active bass/treble tone control and not have to drill any more holes in your bass.

I just installed an EMG preamp in my Ibanez Ergodyne bass. This bass already had an active preamp, so it was an easy install for me. I did have to make one soldered connection, but everything else on the EMG setup uses push-on connectors.

Onboard distortion? At least one company makes them:
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/GFS-MODboards_c_204.html

If all this seems too expensive/complex/difficult, you could always beef up your tone with effects pedals. The Danelectro Fish'n'Chips EQ will give you lots of tone control and a signal boost too.
  4. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Thanks, i was thinking about leaving the tone control and just getting like an eq pedal along with a fuzz pedal. But i think i'll go with the 2 band EQ bass/treble. I don't need mids, as i'd alwasy leave it all the way up. Onboard distortion sounds pretty cool. My bass looks like gene simmons lobue custom bass and that had a great tone to it. So maybe, that'lll work xD.