Preamp Suggestions: Aguilar/Eden/Ampeg??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sleevey55, Feb 12, 2013.

1. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

Am wanting to find a preamp for my GS412. I have narrowed it down to these three preamps....Either the Eden Navigator, the Ampeg SVP Pro, or the Aguilar DB659. I am somewhat confused on the Ampeg though....whats the difference between the SVP Pro and SVP CL?? Anyways, let me know what your thoughts are on these amps if you have experience with them. Thanks guys....and gals.:help:

2. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    You're in for a lot of opinions! Personally, I'd go with the Aggie, hands down...awesome sounding pre. The Eden gets much love...personally, I think they're boring :(

3. sleevey55

Hmmmm, really? I am leaning towards the Ampeg or Aguilar I think now.......but any other opinions would be great!!!

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Check out the Agi, but also check out the Tonehammer pedal. More than enough to drive a power amp, and the thing sounds KILLER.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sleevey55

I am wondering about how similar the Aggie sounds to the DB750 ? I have owned several 750's and I did love them, but after buying a Read, it seems as though a "blanket" was removed away from my speaker grill...the read is WAY more clear, yet still tubey,warm and articulate. I am concerned that the Aggie will still have the same "pillowy" sound to it. I actually upgraded the tubes to Telekunkens first which helped some, but ended up actually liking the RCA blackplates.

7. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I have the TH500 amp (which uses the Tone Hammer pre) as well as an SVP-CL
    I love them both
    I prefer the Ampeg tone although in a band situation the Aguilar is more mid forward and seems to sit in the mix better (for Rock and R&B)

8. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Since I mostly get calls for upright gigs, I tried the Tone Hammer pre/DI for electric, mainly because at $220, how can you not :) I'm pretty shocked by it, to be honest...love that little thing

9. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

Don't discount the eden Nav just because one person thought it is boring... it is by far the most versatile of the Preamps you are comparing. the compressor is very nice and useful compared to most built in compressors and the EQ has a wide range of sounds and is very powerful. It is also the cleanest sounding of the 3

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have a Verellen Meatsmoke Pre and it blows the doors off of anything else I've heard.

11. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21

I had the TH500 w my GS412, it kills, thick and meaty, plenty of headroom

12. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

The SVP-CL is the preamp out of the classic and the SVP-PRO is similar but has a drive circuit to add dirt, it also has an EQ that can be switched in and out. I have the SVP-PRO and really like it, though I'd bet I'd like the -CL too being that I don't add much dirt, I like to add warmth and fatten up my AG500 and it does that to my liking.