Preamp suggestions with Markbass SD800 w/410 and 115 cab

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by skidmarkbass, Feb 19, 2013.

1. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

Can any one suggest a good preamp for this rig (Markbass SD800 w/410 and 115 cab). I use a Warmoth 5er Jazz and a Fender P 5er both passive. I have used a Sadowsky, that never sounded good and now dosn't work at all ( I must have bought a lemon). I play classic rock and alternative rock.

2. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

No longer made.. must find a used one: Either use Furman PQ 3 or 4. It's a pre-amp and fully Parametric EQ.

[ DISCRETE] Stereo version is PQ 6 and 8.

I own PQ 3; reissue balck faced. I love mine.

3. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

maybe ebay..... thanks

4. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

Ebay is where I found mine.

More 'collectible' version is green-faced with rust knobs.

First Furman PQE-3, I found on ebay; I lost a bidding war in last moments. I was very disappointed.

When 'Fates' agreed it was my day, I won(2) and had to return one as EQ worked but pre-amp section was dead. No issues with seller..clean refund.

The unit I own was previously used in a personal studio, so it worked for his studio use. I use mine to make my 1971 Kustom 200 sound better overall.

There are modern contemporary parametric EQs as well as a section of pre amps. Some models may exceed the Furman..don't know.. haven't tried any.

I own line6 pod and Korg Pandora, but they are multi effects boxes with EQ's and Pre amps included..not a dedicated PREAMP or EQ.

Whole truth.. Furman PQE's always have some old school Solid State noise.. a minor hiss... which may be an iritation to some, but not noticable in a band or live situation.

Should find them under $300...of course I bought mine a few year back..times and $$ values change. Look one up and see what's out there.....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Markbass head already includes a preamp, a pretty decent basic one. So before anyone can make any kind of sensible recommendation, you have to tell us what kind of tones or features you want, that the SD800 doesn't have. There are hundreds of preamps to choose from, no exaggeration. So what do you want it to "do" or "sound like", exactly? And what is your budget? No point in recommending a $500 preamp if you can't spend more than $300, or however much. And are you looking for a pedal or a rackmount unit?

7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

And Bongo is again the voice of reason :)

I really like the sound of my VT Bass with my MarkBass Jeff Berlin... But again, depends your needs and tonal goals.

8. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

budget is $200ish. I'm just looking to get a little more out of my basses (all passive). Also, I want a pre for my backup QSC power head. My Jazz, sounded really good with my Sadowski pre, but that box had major issues and now is DEAD.

9. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Tech21 VT Bass.. I have two - one has a preamp with the drive set to about 9 o'clock and another as a fuzz. And you can find lots of them used here on TalkBass for around $100.

10. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

...and if you're going that route, you might as well ante up for the new(ish) VT Bass Deluxe.

[​IMG]

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Good, that helps us narrow things down for sure.
    Not so good. "A little more" doesn't mean a g-d thing. Do you want dirt, fatness, warmth, high fidelity crispness, more EQ control, etc.?
    OK that helps, because it means you need something with the ability to send a very high line-level output. Not all preamps can do that. Which specific model of QSC is it?

The Tech21 VT Deluxe or Bass Drive Deluxe are a bit over your budget new, but they will do the job and sound great for rock tones. However their EQ is not much better than what you've got already, so don't go that route if your main concern is EQ versatility.

12. truecanadian04

truecanadian04

Tech 21 Sansamp RBI or RPM. Can't go wrong. I prefer the RBI.

13. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

I would purchase a dedicated pre-amp..of your choice... before modifying a bass.

I am not against modification, but all I have to do is plug-in-and play. However once you modify...it's never the same. I would never modify a vintage or more valuable instrument..my opinion...

I realized this once I began to experiment with my passive electrics; using either my Furman, Line6 and Pandora.

No modifications, sounds great passive.. sounds better or different when boosted..un plug and back to passive..too easy.