preamp tubes for traynor dynabass 400

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Precision345, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Precision345

Precision345 Supporting Member

Hi TB,

Wondering what people have tried for the tube preamp on this model other than the stock 12a7x tubes? I'm thinking of trying something other than what I have for ***** n gigs. I have a groovetube 12a7x in there right now

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Many brands of 12AX7/ECC803/ECC083 tubes out there to try. GT's are just relabeled tubes made by someone else. Could be any Russian or Chinese production tube or Europe/USA if it is an older one.

3. Precision345

Ohh ok. I think mine is a Sovtek. It sounds pretty good but I'm interested in trying other tubes for experimentation

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Tube brands and rebrands are a deep rabbit hole, especially if you're starting to look at vintage or NOS stuff. There are a ton of hyperbolic descriptions out there of what tubes do or are supposed to do.

A good starting point is to figure out what you think your current tubes are lacking.

...and also remember that much of the tone isn't the tubes but the amp design.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Precision345

Thanks for your input. I don't know much about tubes and I will have to do a lot of reading. I don't necessarily think that my tubes are lacking anything, more so I would just like to try other tubes for experimentation sake.

Can anyone tell me the difference between one tube and another? I'm not sure what sets tubes apart from one another. What makes one better then the other? Or is it just specific qualities people are looking for that make one tube different from the other but not necessarily better. I'm guessing quality of craftmanship and materials has something to do with it?

7. Precision345

Can I use any 12A7X tube with something that requires a 12A7X tube or does it differ somehow?

8. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Tone and gain varies between brands some but if it calls for a 12AX7 then any brand of 12AX7 or the European equivalent can be used/tried. Lower gain tubes are the 12AT7, 12AY7 and 12AU7.

9. Precision345

Thanks B-string! I always appreciate your wisdom :)