1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Preamp Upgrade for Carvin SB5000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5StringPocket, Feb 12, 2014.

1. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

I have an ash/maple SB5000 with the J99A pickups and the active/passive option that plays and sounds great. I'm looking for a little more sound shaping ability because sometimes I have to go direct and want to keep it simple. The Carvin preamp sounds nice but I'm considering the John East J-Retro Deluxe. I like it's features and they have a pretty good sound demo on the bestbassgear website but a post from an earlier SB4000/SB5000 Roll Call thread makes me wonder if it would be a good choice.
    Does anyone else have experience with the J-Retro Deluxe in an SB5000 or another preamp that has worked out well. I don't want to throw away $350 trying something only to find out I never should have changed it.
    [​IMG]