Preamp with controls all in the rear cavity...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Alper Yilmaz, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Alper Yilmaz

Alper Yilmaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Erkan Sizarlar Custom Basses
    Hi,

I have a custom-made bass with one Nordstrand Dual-Coil with a cap directly soldered to the jack.

I am considering adding a preamp to the bass but would like to keep everything, including the controls, in the rear cavity along with the battery(ies). The reason I do not want to have the controls on the bass (which would be much more easily accessible) is the fact that I do not want to drill the bass at this time, and I tend to play almost always with the same setup. In other words, I would like to set the pre once and forget about it. So it is similar to Fodera Lincoln Goines Signature Model, even without the volume control.

Do you know of any preamps commercially available?

Thanks in advance for all the responses...

Best,

Alper

2. RobbieK

RobbieK

I've wired basses like this for guys. Pretty much any pre will do. You should ask your tech to use trimpots, mounted just under the electronics cover. It's pretty easy to mount them on a piece of circuit board and make a little bracket to screw to the side of the control cavity. These are trimpots:

[​IMG]

They act just like regular pots, but they're really tiny and are operated with a small screw driver. You can then drill a hole in the electronics cover just above each one so you can still adjust them if you need. Just throw a little phillips head in your gig bag.

I wouldn't bother with a volume control. If you do a gig where you really need to adjust volume, you simply use a volume pedal.

3. Alper Yilmaz

Alper Yilmaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Erkan Sizarlar Custom Basses
    Hey Robbie,

Thanks for the suggestion; this is really helpful.

I agree with the volume control thing as well. I seldom need to change the volume anyway.

Best,

Alper

4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

How about just using a pedal based preamp?

I'm not sure I see the point of installing a preamp that you can't adjust. Why use one at all? I understand the set-it-and-forget-it attitude, but there are times at a gig when you need to make a quick adjustment on the fly for the room.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Either option mentioned above would probably work. Aguilar makes a pedal that's supposedly based on the obp3 pre but i haven't tried it yet. I have an Aguilar obp3skpp (volume,blend, mid with push pull frequency select and, a stacked bass and treble) in my 7 string and i happen to think its pretty nice. Both options have there ups and downs. If you go pedal you can run a power supply and not have to worry about batteries at all, if you have an onboard pre you won't have to worry about bringing a pedal.

7. M0ses

M0ses

I'm gonna go with the outboard suggestion: if you don't want to mod your bass, don't mod your bass.

8. line6man

line6man

EQ is only one aspect of a preamp. You're forgetting the buffering, option of fixed voicing, option of volume boosts, etc.