1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

PreAmp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ilansgroove, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

you guys ....
    i'm going crazy here.
    i really want to change my BDDI , it sounds ok, does the job but it doesn't "blow" my mind.

since I love my Darkglass B3K, i considered the B7K, but after reading all the comments about it being better as a dirt box then a clean PreAmp, I began to check out other pedals ...

was thinking of the aguilar Tone Hammer , maybe it would sound good with my Tone Hammer 350 , but all the demos i found were not amazing, plus i'm not a big fan of the AGS over drive.

then there's the sadowsky DI
    I don't know if the fact of it being so simple (volume, bass and treble ....ON/OFF and MUTE) scares me that it won't add that much to the sound , or maybe it's all i need ....

problem is, there's no where in Paris where i can try these pedals ... I relay on YouTube and You guys :) before I place an order ....

please share your thoughts... suggestions ... comments ...

by the way, just tested the EDEN PreAmp at a store here in Paris .... just awful !!!

2. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Another option to think about is the 3leaf audio enabler. Extremely transparent, virtually no color at all if that's what you're interested in.

3. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

I have not tried any of those listed there, but may I suggest to also consider the EBS Valvedrive? That is my preamp pedal I always use and I don't see myself getting rid of it. It does have one issue for me (can be compensated for) but it only has a Mid cut and no boost and you can only boost the highs and lows. That being said I haven't found any issues with it. Check it out! :smug:

Here's a decent video on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0-eAGzhZZk

4. maartendew

maartendew

I own and use the Tone Hammer DI, and i'm in the same situation...

At first it did the job, now i'm just not sure if thats the best I can get. Because of the AGS, and because since I got a Diamond compressor, I feel the TH kinda 'narrow' my tone instead of beefing it.

MXR Di seems like a downstep to me, Sadowsky I never got to hear live... not a fan of sans amp stuff...

I dont know where to look and i'm looking forward to see other's suggestion.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    IMO, the B7K works wonderfully as a clean preamp. I've been using it as such for about a year now. Never had any issues with it not being clean. If you like the taste of the B3K, I can't recommend it enough.

7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

What are the context of those comments, though? You may not be after a "clean" sound, after all. Some people by "clean" mean a simple tone control that enhances their bass's natural sound without a baked-in flavor. You may not want/need that at all, though. Many people go for certain preamps exactly because they want that signature character added to their tone.

Preamp pedals are versatile tools that can be used as a direct box for recording or ampless gigs, as a tone flavoring stomp box, as a signature tone driving a power amp, etc, so it all depends on your goals. If you are indeed looking for a stomp box that adds tonal flavor (which it sounds like from your BDDI description), I agree with Greg. You may love the B7k if you already dig the B3k. It may bring something to the table you don't already have in terms of upper tonal range with the Tone Hammer amp, too.

8. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

i'm going to order the B7K!!!

hope it will live up to all my expectations... :)

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

I hope so too. It really stinks when you get a pedal and you think it's gonna be awesome and it doesn't quite live up to your expectations. But, I think it will. My B7K changed the way I look and listen to everything since getting it. It's one of the only pedals I've ever had that I've never, and probably will never even think of or consider flipping. Never.

10. Guinness20

Guinness20

I'm still in the planning stages of a pedalboard but I'm close to the point where I start buying pedals. I'm looking at getting a diamond bass comp and maartendew is probably onto something, so the th is out. For me I'm looking at the mxr m81, the jhs color box and possibly the b7k. Was wondering what you think gregmon79 - I don't like the b3k because it's a bit too fizzy for me (and also it works better with a pick and I use my fingers) - but would a b7k work as a clean/slightly dirty pre for a finger player?

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Some other pedals to consider: Mountainking Behemoth I,F Big F Boost or the Fuzzrocious BDPG

12. Veldar

Veldar

I prefer the B7K as a clean preamp.

13. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Been sniffing around for another pre amp besides my bddi Hartke's VXL Bass Attack gets some good reviews and is affordable. Haven't got my hands on one yet…

fnord!