1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Preamps and Power Amps: Will This Work?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Angel Switch, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

So the concept of a seprate preamp and power amp isn't new to me, but I've never bothered to look into it much, and I don't know a lot about it. I have plans to get the BDDI, which Tech 21 claims is a preamp. This means that I could have my current pedal chain go into the BDDI, then have that run into something like the American Audio VLP-600 Power Amplifier, then out to a cab, right? Or am I missing something?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

It would depend on the input senstivity of the amp. I did a quick search but couldnt find that figure. From what I did see that looks to be a low end amp.

If you dont already own that amp, there are better power amps out there for the money IMHO.

3. aledeville

aledeville

As long as the preamp has enough output and the input sensitivity of the power amp isn't ridiculously high, this is an excellent way of amplifying.
    Just make sure you'll crank the poweramp. Because the level pots on poweramps are not controlling the output, but just reducing the input. Meaning - open the poweramp completeley and use the level knob on the preamp.

Edit:
    I just saw that the VLP can switch the input sensitivity. I don't see any reason this wouldn't work.

Edit 2:
    Peaveyman was faster... but he's right. It's not the best poweramp there is. And its heavy. You might look into Crown XLR1000 for instance. Or peavey IPR.

4. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

Any recommendations? And what makes better amps worth spending more?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bgressman82

bgressman82

7. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

What cabinet are you using, and what impedance?

Spend an extra $130 or so on something at least like this:

Crown XLS1500 DriveCore Series Power Amp Specifications:

Minimum Guaranteed Power per channel, both channels driven: 775W, Stereo, 2 Ohms (per ch.); 525W, Stereo, 4 Ohms (per ch.); 300W, Stereo, 8 Ohms (per ch.); 1050W, Bridge-Mono, 8 Ohms; 1550W, Bridge-Mono, 4 Ohms;

Sensitivity (for full rated power at 4 Ohms): 1.4 Vrms

I recall reading where some users of the Drivecore series had trouble driving the input to get full power out of the amp. Can anyone comment whether the SansAmp BDDI is a good match?

From the BDDI owners manual:

TO DRIVE A POWER AMP: Run the 1/4” Output to the input of a
    power amp, and adjust your stage volume with the Level control of SansAmp
    Bass Driver DI.
    NOTE:When running into the power amp input of an amp or a power
    amp alone, adjust the Level as needed. If you are so inclined, this is the
    time to crank it!

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Reliability, weight, noise floor, clean headroom (power on tap)are some of the factors. Personally I spell power amp as either Crowm or QSC. Everybody else is far fown the depth chart for me. Just due to experience.

Another pat ofthat experience us that while rack setups can offer a high watts/dollar spent ratio, they often don't actually sound great. Just loud. To my ear, I seem to have better results with good integrated heads.

Ymmv and all that...

9. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Irony :bag:

:D

10. CL400Peavey

If you are driving it with the pedal? The Peavey IPR 1600. I would avoide the crown drivecore amps, as they have a poor input sensitivity.

11. dincz

dincz

I think "poor" is the wrong word. Their sensitivity is absolutely fine for their intended purpose. What is really poor is the failure of many preamp manufacturers to provide enough output level for users of pre/power rigs.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    If you don't mind a 45+ lb. amp, look for a used Crest CA6 or CA9. These are the classic lead sleds, unsurpassed for oceans of clean power, reliability, 2 ohm performance, and damping/slam. :ninja:

Look for used Crest CA6 on ebay. I bought a 10 year-old CA6 in 2006. It is still working perfectly, and gets used 2 or 3 times a week. :cool:

13. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

Fender Rumble 410, 4 Ohms

14. CL400Peavey

I dont. I think its a poor match for the pedal the OP is intending to use as a pre amp.

15. dincz

dincz

That I do agree with and would have agreed earlier if that was what you had written.