1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

preamps... rules for where they go?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Delapaz, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Delapaz

Delapaz

Disclosures:
    Frontman, Bass Player
    my actual configuration for recording is my active DI used as extra eq for my Genz Benz ShuttleMax12.0 to get the highs out of my basson B810 (bass monster tone, low end for lifetime, but lacks those highs) and i get the cab miked with a senheisser 412, then the XLR DI output and the mic output, i put them through a Presonus modded Bluetube (stock tube replaced, it gives life to it) then all gets recorded and sounds magical, so both signals run through the tube pre, but i got a question, my engineer says the XLR output sound should be PRE and not POST, but i like the edge post eq gives, he says a PRE signal is better to blend it on a mix with the mic, and this is how i record, any sugestions? how do you guys record when you´re taking it seriously with your band?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are no rules, but there is a reason your engineer wants pre-EQ: he can add all the EQ the sound needs after the track is recorded, but he cannot remove EQ that was in the original recording. Plus when combining mic and DI tracks, both with the same EQ, the result can be bloated and muddy, too much boost all in one range. It really is better to record with minimal EQ, and let the engineer do his job afterward.