1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Precision Aluminium Shield

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fafner, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Fafner

Fafner

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

No affect on tone. It's just a shielding plate to help reject noise. You could accomplish the same thing by sticking foil tape to the bottom of any pickguard.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Shielding doesn't affect tone.

And for 26 euro that is a raging rip off. You could just use aluminum foil tape (for fixing ductwork) for a fraction of the cost, you could get copper foil tape for a few bucks more than that and it has a much greater resistance and will produce much better results in my experience.

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

As a shield it is a ripoff. But as a vintage spec replacement part it's less egregious.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Major OVERKILL!!!! There's absolutely no point shielding the entire area of the pick guard. Only the area where the pickups and wiring are - the rest is a waste since it doesn't shield anything. And as others have said, aluminum foil is fine so long as it is grounded.

7. Fafner

Fafner

Same opinion

8. MR PC

MR PC

I've always thought that shielding effects tone, most audible in the hf's. People like to argue about this...I don't want to start a flame war, but I do believe that it effects tone. I've talked to others who feel the same way.

A part of the sound of those pre cbs p basses is the thin metal pick guard shield, as is the sound of the late 50's P's with anodized aluminum guards. maybe putting the tape on the bottom of the guard has the same effect, but simply installing the one that fits the pick guard is easier to do.

I bought my last fender p bass pg shield on ebay for $11.95 about a month ago, the dealer had quite a few in stock. Pretty much the same price as a shielding kit?