1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Precision Bass Body Jazz Bass Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RTrafton, Nov 16, 2011.

1. RTrafton

RTrafton

I prefer the sound of the Precision Bass, and the neck of the Jazz Bass.

The lows on the Jazz Bass are not prominent enough, and I despise the neck on the Precision Bass-- it's like a baseball bat.

The Precision Bass is far more aesthetically pleasing, but there is no way in h*ll I can play on a Precision neck longer than 15 minutes without getting hand cramps.

Does Fender (or did Fender) make a Precision Bass with a slim 1.5 inch nut Jazz Neck?

My budget is $1,000, but I don't want to drop any money on a neck that isn't Fender (like "AllParts" or something like that). I would prefer to spend the money on a full bass and neck that came out of the Fender factory whole.
  2. bassman07718

bassman07718

3. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

If you aren't dead set on a Fender, Lakland makes an awesome P with a 1.5 width Jazz neck (the 44-64 Custom, formerly the Donald "Duck" Dunn model). I just got one and couldn't be happier with it.
  4. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

I read that a Fender neck pocket is the same for both jazz and P bass necks, but I am not so sure. If someone could confirm this, I would love to know. Otherwise, the other options are availabe. I believe a Jag has a jazz width nut and has a P pickup. And a J bridge pickup if you want it.
  5. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

AFAIK, this mod was one of the first popular with bass players back in the 70's. A lot of guys were putting J necks on the P. Also, Fender made P's in the '71 - '72 time-frame which had Jazz Bass profiled necks. I know because my first Fender I bought in 1972 was a P with the thinner neck. Wish I still had it. For all of CBS' mess-ups, this was one mod which made some sense. So, yes, they are somewhere out there.

All that said, with a lot more years of playing, my 2c is that the neck profile actually influences tone more than anything, and that neither profile is "faster" or easier on the hands than the other. The thinner neck is more flexible and that has direct influence on the resonant characteristics of the instrument, with neither being either better or worse, just different, IMO.

If you are actually having hand cramps playing a P neck, you might want to get some lessons, cause that should not be happening using any kind of decent left hand technique. And not to say that you might prefer the J anyhow.
  6. ack

ack Supporting Member

they're nice basses.

...or a mid-to-late 80's Peavey Fury (and you can pocket roughly $800)
  7. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

I have 3 Jazz basses and one P bass with a Warmoth slim profile Jazz neck. I really can't notice a difference in playabilty, but the Warmoth feels a little harder when fretting as compared to my stock Feender Jazz neck.The easiest of all is the Geddy Lee model neck, which feels like playing on glass.
  8. Morten_B

Morten_B

What you're asking for sounds a lot like a G&L SB-1 or SB-2...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

wow that is a sick G&L SB2.

I would also point out that the Musicman Sterling gets very close to Jazz bass territory as far as its neck is concerned. And I certainly can't complain about the sounds it can make.
    If you want that P bass whomp you need that split pickup though.
  10. Kirk Bryant

Kirk Bryant

I am sitting here with my "new to me" factory original, 1971 Fender Precision Bass with a stock "A" neck on it.
    An A neck, as listed on Fender's website, is listed as being 1 1/2" width.
    I think some may say they are 1 7/16 wide or 1 9/16 ???.

And my neck really looks like 1 and 17/32. ! I have looked at it a lot. Also could be failing eyesite. haha

pageing JohnK .........for the word from the Bass Gods.

Although they are not real common you could always order any width they made as a stock option. If I'm not mistaken the A option is the hardest to find as these would have been ordered by persons of smaller stature whether they were male, female or a youth.
    I happen to just like them better and I am 6' tall but don't have large hands. I started on a bass just like I have now and can't believe I sold my original P 40 yrs ago. Now things have come full circle.
    I also just finished a rebuild of a 1962 P-Bass and I used a fender Lic. neck. I was not an expensive one, less than $150 as I recall. Of course I had to supply the Nut and finish work. It came out stunning with a vintage tint finish, and it plays great.

peace Kirk

wow what a bunch of posts in the time it took me to post!
  11. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I did just what the OP suggests in 1970
    I had a '62 P and I had access to a 69 Jazz that wasn't being used. I switched necks and that was my one and only until I traded it in on a '76 String Ray.
  12. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

My Squier P-Bass Special came stock with Jazz Neck and rosewood fretboard. Swapped it out for a Squier VM Precision Neck with maple fretboard, much better, imo.

But yeah, it should be really easy to swap the neck on a Fender, just remove the old one and put the new one in, followed by a decent setup.
  13. Kael

Kael

Just get a P, put an aftermarket warmoth neck on it and be done. Honestly, warmoth necks are superior in every regard to Fender's stock necks. Except for perhaps the rolled edges. That's dead simple to do yourself however.
  14. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

15. georgestrings

It's a direct bolt-up... I've done it a few times, and as long as everything is Fender made, it's a straight up swap...

- georgestrings
  16. georgestrings

Disagree - I don't think Warmoth necks are any better than Fender necks, and in many cases not as good... YMMV, but that's how I see it...

- georgestrings
  17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

For the most part, yes; however, some models of Jazz necks have 21 and 22 frets. While those would physically fit, you would face an almost impossible task of setting the intonation.
    Just make sure you're putting a 20 fret neck on a "twenty fret" body.
  18. Kirk Bryant

Kirk Bryant

"Just make sure you're putting a 20 fret neck on a "twenty fret" body." Turock

^ this as well !! good point. ^
  19. ajunea3

ajunea3

If you buy a Warmoth neck, don't worry about this. It's not really the number of frets to worry about - it's the scale length of the neck. As long as it is the standard 34" scale neck (which is determined by the spacing of the frets), you'll be fine. For instance, I just bought a jazz neck from Warmoth that has 21 frets. It still fits my Fender Jazz bass - the extra fret is added length on the fretboard. It does not change the scale length.
  20. lavmonga

lavmonga

Get a used Jazz neck and slap it on a P bass.