1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Precision Bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stonewall, Nov 27, 2013.

1. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Has anyone ever seen a Precision either customized or some old model with a second precision split coil pickup.So bassically the same set up as say a Stingray HH only with 2 split coils.Im thinking about finding a beater precision and trying this... PP not PJ

2. Batmensch

Batmensch

3. Gries Amps

Gries Amps Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gries Amplification
  4. electracoyote

electracoyote

It's not an uncommon mod, and some players absolutely love it. Several TB'ers should be demonstrating that from first-hand experience very soon.

I'm still waiting for an opportunity to try one, but I can definitely envision the sonic possibilities.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Thanks im hoping someone has audio i bet it sounds Sweet.

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I think some of the precision elites from the 80s were double Ps

8. 1960jbass

1960jbass

They were!! In fact there have been a couple for sale recently in the TB classifieds!!

9. FrednBass

FrednBass

Stu Cook of Creedence Clearwater Revival did it back in the days.
    Plus a Rickenbacker pickup by the neck
    [​IMG]

10. til mannix

til mannix

I did that to my P bass when I was on the road in the early 70's. In those days only the voices went through the modest PA. What spurred the mod was that in several auditoriums my P bass was just too boomy so I sought the solution. First another P pup in the bridge position didn't fix much and I didn't like the sound. Next I really liked the sound of McCartney's Rickenbacker so I decided to try a Rickenbacker pup in the bridge position. This left a rather ugly wound so I made a "dutchman" to cover the offending gape. Unfortunately the pole spacing on the Rickenbacker was too narrow for my P's string spacing leaving the E string sounding a bit anemic. Finally I ordered a Seymour Duncan MM alnico pup replacement, reshaped the bridge route and I've never looked back. It's a great combo.

11. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

Valley Arts made a Lee Sklar model, and this one turned up in the classifieds earlier this year. You'll notice that the pickups are reversed from the standard P-Bass configuration, with the polepieces for the E and A strings being closer to the bridge relative to those for the D and G strings.

12. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I have a BC Rich Eagle from the mid 80's with 2 P-bass pups. Great sound.

13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Mad Love for the Blacktop Jazz! :bassist:

I don't know what it is, what with electronics so-not being my forté, but the double split-coils creates a downright ferocious set of tones. Or, if you want something a little more mellow, just dial back the bridge pickup to get closer to, if not exactly like, a classic Precision tone.

Good luck with your project!

14. Yango

Yango

Check out the Fender Precision Elite. It's exactly what you're referring to.

http://www.riverband.demon.nl/elite.html

Ahhh, I see pickebass beat me to the punch... anyhow check out the link. There are some great pics.