1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Precision Bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stonewall, Nov 27, 2013.

1. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Has anyone ever seen a Precision either customized or some old model with a second precision split coil pickup.So bassically the same set up as say a Stingray HH only with 2 split coils.Im thinking about finding a beater precision and trying this... PP not PJ
  2. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

3. Gries Amps

Gries Amps Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gries Amplification
  4. electracoyote

electracoyote

It's not an uncommon mod, and some players absolutely love it. Several TB'ers should be demonstrating that from first-hand experience very soon.

I'm still waiting for an opportunity to try one, but I can definitely envision the sonic possibilities.
  5. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Thanks im hoping someone has audio i bet it sounds Sweet.
  6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I think some of the precision elites from the 80s were double Ps
  7. 1960jbass

1960jbass

They were!! In fact there have been a couple for sale recently in the TB classifieds!!
  8. FrednBass

FrednBass

Stu Cook of Creedence Clearwater Revival did it back in the days.
    Plus a Rickenbacker pickup by the neck
    [​IMG]
  9. til mannix

til mannix Supporting Member

I did that to my P bass when I was on the road in the early 70's. In those days only the voices went through the modest PA. What spurred the mod was that in several auditoriums my P bass was just too boomy so I sought the solution. First another P pup in the bridge position didn't fix much and I didn't like the sound. Next I really liked the sound of McCartney's Rickenbacker so I decided to try a Rickenbacker pup in the bridge position. This left a rather ugly wound so I made a "dutchman" to cover the offending gape. Unfortunately the pole spacing on the Rickenbacker was too narrow for my P's string spacing leaving the E string sounding a bit anemic. Finally I ordered a Seymour Duncan MM alnico pup replacement, reshaped the bridge route and I've never looked back. It's a great combo.
  10. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

Valley Arts made a Lee Sklar model, and this one turned up in the classifieds earlier this year. You'll notice that the pickups are reversed from the standard P-Bass configuration, with the polepieces for the E and A strings being closer to the bridge relative to those for the D and G strings.
  11. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I have a BC Rich Eagle from the mid 80's with 2 P-bass pups. Great sound.
  12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Mad Love for the Blacktop Jazz! :bassist:

I don't know what it is, what with electronics so-not being my forté, but the double split-coils creates a downright ferocious set of tones. Or, if you want something a little more mellow, just dial back the bridge pickup to get closer to, if not exactly like, a classic Precision tone.

Good luck with your project!
  13. Yango

Yango

Check out the Fender Precision Elite. It's exactly what you're referring to.

http://www.riverband.demon.nl/elite.html

Ahhh, I see pickebass beat me to the punch... anyhow check out the link. There are some great pics.