Precision Lyte NBD #59: Diary of a mad bass collector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Just picked up this 1990 Precision Bass Lyte. Speedy neck with nimble little body. Came with original case (strap and 20-foot cable) and in pretty nice shape for 20 year old bass for only $250 CDN.
    I love the Japanese Fenders (I would like some USA models but you can find some good bargains on MIJ ..... much harder to get a deal on MIA Fenders in these parts anyway).
    What I would really like now would be:
    Jaguar ...
    Performer ... really scarce and expensive
    Geddy Lee ... I see a LOT for sale. Anything wrong with them or just lots out there?
    Boner Bass ...

This is the Fender collection as it stands:

Fender Classic 50s Precision Mexico
    Fender JB62-M (32 inch) Japan
    Fender Jazz Japan
    Fender Jazz Special Japan
    Fender P-special Deluxe Series Mexico
    Fender Precision Lyte Japan
    Fender Precision Special Aerodyne Japan
    Fender Precision Japan
    Fender Precision Special (Cowpoke) Mexico
    Fender Squier Katana Japan
    Fender Squier Precision (32 inch) Japan
    Fender Sting Japan

One day I'll try to do synopsis but I can say that my two Mexican models play as well as any in the bunch. I've had Standard MIM models that I found to be not very desirable to play. I'm one bass away from the magic number I set at the start of the year 60. I was going to hold out and buy a MusicMan but i I have fear factor of spending more than $500 on a bass. I'm afraid I'll be stuck with lemon (truss rod stuck etc.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. htt

htt

Very nice score indeed!
  3. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Did something i normally don't do for brand new basses. Brought in brand news bass straight into band practice without trying it or setting it up first and I'm extremely impressed.
    Great tone! Fast neck. Heaven to play.
    I'm surprised this bass doesn't get more love out there in bassland.
    There wasn't much there not to like .. but a lot to love.
  4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

How could someone not buy it at that price? score. They dont get love because it doesnt look "traditional" for a fender bass and no one famous uses one.
  5. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Love mine. Plays great, light and high quality. But it looks like a turd with worn gold hardware. Mine, not yours. I've got the yellow brown burst thing.
  6. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Nice! I wish I still had my Lyte, even though its well over 20 years since it was stolen from me. One of these days with some luck I'll grab another!

Enjoy!!!
  7. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

I have a P Lyte. The first bass I bought in late 90s when I got back into bass. I own 10 or 12 other axes (who's counting—only my wife). And I keep returning to the Lyte. That is one of the most underrated Fenders ever. Congrats on your purchase.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Mine is a white 95. Wish I'd have gotten black, but oh well. Had to get rid of the pickups and preamp, though. I've got EMG PJ's in it now, and it plays and sounds like a dream, plus it's really super light.