1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Precision monogamy revisited

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ggvicviper, Nov 8, 2013.

1. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

About 7 months ago, I declared that I felt that all I needed to play anymore were Precision and P-style basses. I had found my sound, after playing with PJs, Js, dual humbucker basses etc.

The past week I felt like I might be missing something in the world of bass. I took a few trips to some local music chain stores last weekend to try some other stuff that I either once had or always admired. I picked up a Squier VM Jazz V - not bad, but wasn't crazy about the output level. I tried a Gibson EB bass - best Gibson I ever played, but it lacked some brightness. Picked up a P, and it just sounded really good.

Today I also stopped by Sam Ash in Manhattan on the way home from work, seeing if maybe I would like a Warwick passive $$ Corvette better than the others. Sounded excellent in quality of the pickups, but the sounds it output were what I would consider intrusive/overkill for most styles of music. Too much growl. I actually tried a Spector Euro LX too, which sounded a bit more usable, but still was a bit too intrusive for my tastes.

As I put the Spector back, I realized why I said I would stick with Ps. They were always usable in any situation I needed them in. They could get aggressive, they could really thump, they could just sit creamily. While these are all very nice basses I played, I can never look back again.

P is for me.

2. SteveC

SteveC

I'm the opposite. I keep trying to love a P and can't. I love the way they sound - Bruno Mars' stuff for example - but they never seem to sound like that for me. I seem to lean to active basses and at least 5 strings.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Monogamy is overrated. ;)

4. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

I have tried and failed to find another bass that sounds right, but it's P for me. I will say that my Cabronita and my G&L L-1000 also sound great to my ears; I think the key is the pickup placement and perhaps that's all it is. Give me a bass with a pickup by the heel and a pickup by the bridge and I will find nothing but a variety of sounds that I am not satisfied with. Bridge pickups give me the heebie-jeebies (too thin and burpy). And having two pickups will drive me insane because I will NEVER stop twiddling the knobs.
    MY TB handle says it all: I need to keep it simple, or I lose it entirely.

And really, I've had tons of non-P basses that I truly wished and strived to get along with.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

I've gone a step further...I only own and play one P-Bass. It's all I need really.

7. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

My only problem with P's is that you have to mow through a lot of them to find YOUR P bass. I did, but it took me a year and a half.

P's are a safe bet when you're trying to take variables out of a situation. Hit and run studio, cover band auditions, etc. You know exactly what you're going to get every single time.

Never trust a bass player without at least one P bass. :D

The only thing they don't do well (for me) is CC/PT. A fiver is a must as I do not care for the drop D thing.

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I always wanted to believe you could do one or the other, but to me it is about how the bass fits in the mix. With the project im doing now my P bass just works. Oddly enough, it is not my favorite bass, but it works

I have a sadowsky which by all accounts is a great bass, just doesn't work for this project. So right now me and my Ps are very close.

9. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I'm a P-Bass guy generally, but I just got an American Deluxe Jazz AND a '74 AVRI Jazz that I love, too. Gonna play the AmDeluxe at a classic rock gig tonight. But it's P-Bass all the way for my regular soul gig.

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I've tried almost everything and settled on a P. Zoomie is right about finding the "one", because there were several P's that just didn't do it for me. I think it's more in the inherent tone of a traditional combination of things, the biggest being a quality Alnico5 split coil pickup wound between 9.5 and 11k, but not all P's are created equal.

I sometimes miss other basses. The jazz and the sizzle of a musicman are two sounds Ill never get from a P, the grass is always greener, etc...
    I can't say I'll always play a Precision, but until I find a bass that covers as wide range of music as the mighty P bass, I'll be content with what I have: ImageUploadedByTalkBass1384013162.365435.jpg

11. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Worked for Jameson and Duck, Rocco and Babbitt and etc...............etc...........

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I've tried to explain that to my wives.

13. MotorCityWest

MotorCityWest

Ha, this is me as well.

I tried so so many to find my sound.
    The funny thing is when I first got started and asked for advice, I was told Fender Fender Fender. Being the type of person I am, this made me want to try everything except Fender which appeared to be one of the most popular basses - because I like to be different.

After way too much money spent and basses, I ended up loving my Fender Mustang and Fender P Bass. One pup, one vol, one tone is all I need.

14. hsech

hsech Smile. Life is short. Gold Supporting Member

I love my P, but it ain't the only bass in my herd. I play my AVRI 57 P in my blues trio, but I play strictly Gibson in my other band. I play a SG Standard bass and a EB five string. The guitarist plays a 70's LP Custom. A Gibson Bass with it's thunderous low end just seems to fit in that band. Muddy Gibson pickups you say? Nonsense. Adjust your amp EQ and the tone control on the bass and all is good. I have not played out with my Gibson Midtown yet, but I suspect it will sound close to the SG.

15. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

I've been playing the same P-bass since 1976. I've never felt the need for anything else. I guess I'm a monogamous P-guy too.

I decided that I wanted to stop putting so many miles on my Vintage P, and that it was time for that bass to stay at home. So I decided to buy another bass for practice and taking out.

I bought a J-bass a few weeks ago. I ended up getting rid of it after a couple of weeks. A week ago I replaced it with a PJ.

Having that extra J pickup on a P-bass doesn't make me stop being a monogamous P-guy, does it?

I still think of myself as a dyed in the wool P-guy. When I needed a second bass I decided to buy another P, but this one has an extra J pickup on it that I can switch out. I like to think that having that extra J pickup helps to ward off GAS. (Not that I'm particularly vulnerable to GAS -- I've had one bass for over 35 years, but being active on TB isn't helping any.)

Having that extra J pickup on a P-bass doesn't make me stop being a monogamous P-guy, does it?