Precision Neck Replacement Ideas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matti777, Dec 31, 2013.

1. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

I love my '57 AVRI P except for the big neck. I've tried to sell it but no interest unless I want to give it away. I was playing a Roadworn P at a local music store today and liked the neck which seemed thinner (is the neck actually thinner on these?). This got me to thinking. Perhaps I should just buy a thinner maple neck instead of shopping for another bass. What specs should I be looking for? I think the '57 is 1 3/4" C shape. Any ideas what my options are? Perhaps just a std American neck? I'm not stuck on the nitro.

2. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

3. matti777

Lots of choices there. There fretboard radius is larger but probably ok. By the time I price one up its $380 plus shipping, tax, etc. maybe $500 total. Perhaps a std finish steel truss rod neck would be okay too :)

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

The AVRI necks are wider at the neck pocket than the modern P basses. So, I don't think the Warmoth neck will fit properly. You may want to see if the AVRI jazz basses have the same size neck pocket as the P basses.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

7. Freddels

+1

8. matti777

Good point. I see MusiKraft lists a vintage heel width of 2 7/16" vs 2 1/2" for std Fender P basses. I'll measure today. EDIT: It is only 2 1/2" wide

9. pfox14

pfox14

Maybe stating the obvious, but you will really hurt the value of your bass if you replace the neck.

10. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Just stick the old neck back on when it's time to sell.

11. matti777

Nobody wanted to pay $900 for it anyway so I'm not too worried :) I'll sell the stock neck which is very nice.
    I think I'm going to make it look like a '70s bass with black guard and a J maple neck with black block inlays

12. Freddels

Depending on the shape of your bass, I would think that $900 is a fair price for it. You just have to realize that the economy sucks and with the holidays, people don't have a lot of extra cash. If you list it again in a few months, you'll probably get someone to buy it.

13. eno50

eno50

What do you want for the fender fat neck?

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

15. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

+1 They make phenomenal necks, and they'll make whatever size, shape, etc. you want.

16. matti777

Musikraft has a ton of options which is nice because I can try and replicate the dark tint gloss finish. I'm glad I didn't sell the bass just because of the neck width. It really is an awesome sounding bass. Hopefully a new neck doesn't change that. I'll keep the old one until I'm happy with the new one.

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

18. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Great question OP!

I have been migrating away from my '57 and '62 RI's to 70's basses primarily because I have found that I like the narrower width. Love the flat depth of the RI's but not the nut width. Jazz's are too narrow (for me).
    The basses that I miss the most are my ash-bodied '57's but I have not been able to find a 70's neck that fits the neck pocket without leaving huge, unsightly (to me) gaps.
    Would love to find a 7.25" radius neck with a narrower (not Jazz) width nut for my beloved '57 blonde.

Adding that I have a double handful of the MIM 50's necks in both roadworn and "regular" and I have found them to be essentially identical to the AV RI's necks.