Precision or Hollow Body for diversity?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Feb 17, 2014.

1. SteveC

SteveC

I have a wonderful Roscoe Century Standard Plus 5 with Bartolini Soaps and preamp. My "modern active 5 string" needs are covered. While I'd love to have another Roscoe - or two - I am thinking it might be nice to have a completely different kind of bass to compliment/contrast my Roscoe.

I was thinking of getting an American Standard Precision, but have seen a few players using hollow bodies. My local store is now a dealer for D'Angelico guitars. They just received 3 guitars that look and sound amazing. No bass in stock, but D'Angelico makes a semi hollow bass that looks pretty cool.

http://dangelicoguitars.com/standard/ex-bass/

Anyone have any thoughts? Any experience with hollow bodies.
  2. lz4005

lz4005

If you want a good variety of instruments to cover all the bases (no pun intended), I'd go with a P as a 2nd. Then a fretless. Then a hollowbody.

But that's just me.
  3. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

I agree with getting something different instead of another one that’s similar.

Tough choice between the P and the hollowbody-- either would be awesome.

If I played four-strings, I'd be seriously thinking about a hollow body-- they're the only guitars I play.
  4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I dunno.... I'd be a little wary of buying a Korean-made hollowbody without playing it first. Those basses are priced in the range of the new Gibson hollowbody basses.
  5. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

I've always loved the way hollowbodies look and am always unhappy with the way they sound. Think it's a lot easier to make a P sound somewhat like a hollowbody than the other way around.
  6. SteveC

SteveC

Yeah. The look is maybe more interesting than the sound. My "gig" is church - Tomlin, Hillsong, etc. Maybe a precision is the safer bet.
  7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

8. SteveC

SteveC

Videos like this get me going….in more ways than one.

Maybe this isn't a hollow body. No obvious f holes.
  9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

First of all, I would recommend playing every hollow- or semi-hollow bass you can get your hands on, before deciding for yourself. I have several hollowbody basses, and a '78 P-Bass. I'm also a lefty, so my choice of, and experience with, HB basses is rather limited. That said, IME, while HBs are not really a One Trick Pony, they're not the most versatile bass around, either. There are semi-hollow basses that are more useful, tone-wise (although my only semi is a Danelectro DC, and it sounds like... well, a Danelectro). Much as I like my HBs, I have to say that , if you want diversity, my recommendation would be the P-Bass. :)
  10. SteveC

SteveC

Unfortunately, I don't have that option where I live.

It may be just a passing fancy…they look so cool. I'm thinking that aside from my active 5 string hum bucking Roscoe, a Precision is probably the next most useful bass for me while still offering a change in tone and playing style.
  11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The P-bass is indeed the Swiss Army knife of basses. There is almost nothing it won't do, and there are very few things it can't do quite well.

I'm a fan of hollows and semi-hollows, but it is a good idea to lay hands on them. With a P-bass you know what you'll get. A change of strings makes a big difference, too.
  12. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Check out a Roadworn P as well. The tone for the vintage p is to die for. A new p would be good as well.
  13. radmin

radmin Supporting Member

I'd go P. I've been experimenting a lot at church lately with my Roscoe. The neck pickup soloed seems to cut through better. My ideal p would be a Sadowsky. Mainly because I go direct and need to be about to tweak my tone easily. If you think passive would work there are lot of Mike Lull p styles that turn my head.

I went to guitar center last week to try out the Squire->USA Fenders. I didn't like any of them. Their rose wood fingerboards get radiused into practically nothing on the sides. This bothers me for reasons I can't really explain.
  14. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I have a hollow Japanese bass and a semi-hollow EB-2. They are both great, and I would not want to be without them. But, I also have a Precision, and that one gets used a lot more.
  15. SteveC

SteveC

One thing that I don't think they do well is the contemporary jazz/fusion thing. :meh:

But I do have my Roscoe for that. :D

My wife has said many times that it sounds good (I have tried them before for a few days and never thought I sounded as good on one as others) and everyone I listen to (Pino, Bruno, etc) uses one so get one and give it some time - like a year.
  16. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

The Epiphone Jack Casady is the P-Bass of semi hollows.
  17. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Ibanez Artcore is a very ggod bass for little money, IMHO. The hollowbody Hagströms are also impressive. Their patented neck design makes for very good tone and almsot zero dead spots, which is often a pronounced issue on hollowbodies, IME.

Still, in your shoes, I'd get a Precision before exploring the numerous hollowbody designs. Some are not that good for stage use, not even at lower SPL.
  18. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

Nothing's as diverse as a Precision Bass. They fit in at every gig imaginable.
  19. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

You nailed it with that one, man... my thoughts, exactly.
  20. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Understand completely. In my case, I probably use one or the other of my HBs slightly more than my P, but that's just because of the kind of music that I like to play. Also, my P is set up to play the Jamerson, Motown thump. I have other basses if I need versatile.. Don't worry; hollowbodys will still be around when you get the urge again. ;)