Precision Owners - What Pickup in the Bridge position?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

As I'm selling my Jazz bass, I now have this itch to have another pickup installed (professionally) in the bridge position of my 2011 Am Std P-Bass.

But what pickup?

Here are some candidates...
    1 - Noiseless Jazz
    2 - Stingray

Which of these would work best - Anything else I should consider?

I won't to blend them together, I just want a separate more articulate tone for funky stuff in the bridge.

2. bassburton

bassburton

Personally, I'd go for Stingray. And then if you add a coil tap option, you could cover single coil territory.

3. miles'tone

miles'tone

I'm planning the same thing for when funds allow.
    I'm aiming for the Nordstrand Big Split which on paper has the same output as a split P pup. Want to wire them both to a 3-way strat switch a-la the Fender Tony Franklin for some interesting live flicking between both pups with no volume difference/loss. Plus just having the P/both/bridge option is all I need really (and this way the bass will still look pretty! ;-) ).

4. parsons

parsons

Seymour Duncan STK-J2 wired to a push/pull vol so you can run the coils in series or parallel. In series it will sound really full and low while still burpy like it should be. In parallel it's your typical bridge J. I have this setup on one of my PJs and everyone who plays it loves it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jack

Jack

None! Seriously, where would you put your pick :)

7. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

I played dual Ps for years, started with an Ibanez Roadster with 2 EMG Ps, added the second P circa 1988. Worked very well, a bit more beef than a J at the bridge and if you get them spaced right you get the same out of phase sound as if you have two Js. Actually I still have 2 basses set up like this, one is a Warmoth with a Moses fretted neck and two EMG Ps and one is a Warmoth body& fretless neck and two Alembic P activators.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You'd have to wire it in series to match the P pickup.

9. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

I'm putting together a parts PJ right now with a Dimarzio Will Power P pickup and a hum-cancelling Ultra Jazz at the bridge. I think it's going to sound killer.

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

A p-bass pickup is pretty hot and is also hum-cancelling. So for a bridge you want something equally hot and hum cancelling. I'm pretty sure a stingray pickup would fill the bill, and be quite interesting, but it isn't what I did.

I used a NOS Fender P-bass pickup on the 5er P/J I put together with a Dimarzio ultra J at the bridge. No question, it sounds absolutely killer.

The only thing is that if you max both volumes it's not quite balanced as the ultra J output is lower. So perfect "full up" balance, it turns out is about 80% on the P and full up on the J. No biggie, but I"m guessing the stingray pickup wouldn't have the problem, balancing the P-pickup quite nicely. But the Stingray bridge tone won't be like a J so it just depends on what you want. I think EITHER would be a great addition to experiment with on a straight P-bass.

If I didn't intend to blend them together (how do you know until you try it?) I'd probably choose the Stingray approach with the pickup more toward the usual 'ray position. I want to try this on my OLP 'Ray by adding a P-bass split in the usual P-bass position on it which is sort of doing the same thing but coming at it from the other side. I haven't done it yet though, so I can't say how it works.

11. miles'tone

miles'tone

As fat as a stingray pup looks, it aint too hot passive y'know. I would expect for it to work here as intended, you'd need the pre as well.